PDA

View Full Version : Any Joiners in the House.???

raj
13-07-2009, 20:12
need some advice on my back garden gate, which is the only access to my garage...which my 5 has been sat in for many years.

the gate is basically buggered, its too heavy for its supporting posts and has pulled the posts inwards which has then made the fence panels on each side of the posts come loose:crap:

my rear drive rises so i need a gate that will open and rise with the incline if you get me.? im assuming i'll need to have some sort of strong/solid gate posts put in.

anyone got any advice? cant get the 5 out until ive sorted the gate:sad:

Os8472
13-07-2009, 21:09
speak to TNT Ross he's a chippy

raj
13-07-2009, 21:56
speak to TNT Ross he's a chippy
just pm'd him. thanks:agree:

bernard
13-07-2009, 22:01
Im a joiner :) Can you get any pictures to look at?

raj
13-07-2009, 22:03
Im a joiner :)

go ahead mate, advise me on my 1st post ^

bernard
13-07-2009, 22:07
By the sounds of it youve answered you own question, it does sound like you need some new posts in. picture would help mate

Can you not un hook the gate to get the car out:confused:

Ricardo
13-07-2009, 22:13
You mention gate but assume the width of the opening requires a pair of gates, what size is the opening Raj?? Instead if relying on 1 big gate make a pair, sounds like the gate(s) are hanging off the same post used for the fence panels? If so i'd concrete in a pair of solid posts seperate to the fence post to hang a pair of gates.

raj
13-07-2009, 22:27
By the sounds of it youve answered you own question, it does sound like you need some new posts in. picture would help mate

Can you not un hook the gate to get the car out:confused:

im afraid if i lift the gate off whats holding it up the hinges will give way and possibly take the posts with them. :crap:

look here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=15+Rush+Leys,+Ilkeston,+Derbyshire+NG10+1,+Unite d+Kingdom&ie=UTF8&ct=clnk&cd=1&geocode=FVbvJgMd2I7s_w&split=0) click street view and then rotate right a little.

you can see the rear gate. ive slid a plank of wood underneath the gate to prop it up and to stop it from pulling the posts inwards"which you cant really tell in the pic".

im thinking maybe a slider gate/on rollers maybe a good idea.

raj
13-07-2009, 22:31
You mention gate but assume the width of the opening requires a pair of gates, what size is the opening Raj?? Instead if relying on 1 big gate make a pair, sounds like the gate(s) are hanging off the same post used for the fence panels? If so i'd concrete in a pair of solid posts seperate to the fence post to hang a pair of gates.

you've got it bang on there ric:agree: the std fencing concrete posts are obviously not strong enough to take the weight of the gateS

Ricardo
13-07-2009, 22:36
I've seen gates that have a wheel attached to the bottom to make it easy to open and take some of the weight. Framed gates with braces and heavyweight hinges should do the job, shame i'm not in the vicinity otherwise i'd pop over to help you out

Ricardo
13-07-2009, 22:38
you've got it bang on there ric:agree: the std fencing concrete posts are obviously not strong enough to take the weight of the gateS

I assume you have wooden posts bolted to the fence posts and not concreted deep (approx 1 1/2ft) into the ground

raj
13-07-2009, 22:40
I've seen gates that have a wheel attached to the bottom to make it easy to open and take some of the weight. Framed gates with braces and heavyweight hinges should do the job, shame i'm not in the vicinity otherwise i'd pop over to help you out

no worries mate, thanks anyway:agree: also how would you address the situation of the gate needing to rise up when opened? as on the other side of the gate the drive rises up, and if std hinges were fitted the gate would not open fully without it catching the ground:scratch: open angled hinges? if theres such a thing:confused:

Ricardo
13-07-2009, 23:00
no worries mate, thanks anyway:agree: also how would you address the situation of the gate needing to rise up when opened? as on the other side of the gate the drive rises up, and if std hinges were fitted the gate would not open fully without it catching the ground:scratch: open angled hinges? if theres such a thing:confused:

Can the gates open the other way? How much does the driveway rise up by?
Have a look on this website, it shows the jockey wheel, it works on raised driveways. Click on the online catalogue for gate hinges etc

www.gate-fittings.co.uk