PDA

View Full Version : Sealant removal.? windscreen.

raj
13-07-2009, 19:58
ive just had my windscreen removed as it looked abit old and misty.

anyway im now left with the black sealant thats originally used to bond the screen in situ.

how do i remove all the sealant? i dont want to use anything harsh as i dont want to damage the paint.
ive had a quick try with a stanley blade:disagree:

any ideas..?

and also, how much a screens these days?
i hear they come in brown. green. and green to dark blue tint.! was told by the chap who removed my screen that there about £120.?

J$£5GTT
13-07-2009, 21:24
could try one of these-
http://on-sitetools.co.uk/ESW/Images/STA010018.jpg

if that dont work you could try warming it up or use something blunt
like a putty knife an hammer an gently chip the majority of it of.
:agree:

raj
13-07-2009, 21:52
could try one of these-
http://on-sitetools.co.uk/ESW/Images/STA010018.jpg

if that dont work you could try warming it up or use something blunt
like a putty knife an hammer an gently chip the majority of it of.

ive already used the knife method:disagree: its simply going to take too long. and i dont want to be using a hammer on anything close to paint.

i was hoping that there maybe a chemical out there that will break down/dissolve the sealant..???

J$£5GTT
13-07-2009, 21:59
???..dont think so,when they took it off they must have used cheese wire method,
did they not damage anything?,i think your goin to have to get tough with it,if you
do chip a little paint, paint some por 15 on before new screen goes in!

raj
13-07-2009, 22:09
???..dont think so,when they took it off they must have used cheese wire method,
did they not damage anything?,i think your goin to have to get tough with it,if you
do chip a little paint, paint some por 15 on before new screen goes in!

yes he used the cheese wire method and damaged nothing at all apart from the crappy seals which im re-newing anyway.

ill have to have a search for some chemical way, must be someting out there!

raj
14-07-2009, 11:07
boing!

seriously, i need to get this sealant removed:sad:

i really havent the time to stand there picking at it with a blade.
could someone help me find some sort of chemical solution that will break it down.? pleeeease.

UNICRONICUS
14-07-2009, 11:26
I think any checmical solution you use will damage the paint if you get runs etc... Elbow grease is usually the way forward for jobs like this mate I'm afraid.:(

raj
14-07-2009, 11:37
I think any checmical solution you use will damage the paint if you get runs etc... Elbow grease is usually the way forward for jobs like this mate I'm afraid.:(

ok i understand, but its kinda rediculess that there isnt anything like this available.

i dont mind damaging the paint too much as ill simply as a matter of course have it repainted before the w.screen goes back in.

Tillax
14-07-2009, 11:47
A quick google search produced this.

http://www.geocel.co.uk/dynpdfs/127.pdf

This may work, it says you can use it on painted surfaces but it does want you to still remove most of the silicone with a scalpel first.

Tillax
14-07-2009, 11:50
A tungsten carbide scraper is also a awsome tool, only you would have to be incredibly carefull to avoid scratching the paint

gtmatt
14-07-2009, 12:01
or you can pay some one , i payed £20 in and out :)

stuTHC
14-07-2009, 12:15
or you can pay some one , i payed £20 in and out :)

:agree: Thats the best method ive found for jobs that are a pain in the arse, pay someone else to do it!

G801CVT
14-07-2009, 12:49
I have not tried it on a car but it works in the bathroom - http://www.wickes.co.uk/Sealants-Silicone/Silicone-Sealant-Remover/invt/190123.

In the bathroom it is best to remove as much as possible as the chemical does not penetrate that deeply.

Obviously will need to check the affect if any on paint and remove it all with a plastic scraper before it dries.

Steven

Dave Reed
14-07-2009, 14:00
I had my rear screen in the Honda removed & restuck a couple of months back and he just used a long sharp knife, it was like a really long stanley blade. It took him about 5 mins to remove the whole lot!

I'd also be careful if you do use chemicals as it may affect the new sealant so make sure that all is off.