PDA

View Full Version : Puncture sealant stuff

UNICRONICUS
13-07-2009, 09:20
I have a slow puncture on the rear of my motorbike tyre which means I have to top it up with air every couple of days or so, there's loads of tread left on it and it seems a shame to ditch it as it's a nice tyre to ride on... in the dry.

Is there any stuff that you can spray into the tyre via the valve to seal up any tiny holes that may be there? Obviously this won't be a permanent fix because eventually I will buy a new tyre, but if there's something to tide we over for a few weeks that would be great!

Deano
13-07-2009, 09:22
Would it not be better to get it plugged ?
There's a garage local to me who bond a rubber plug through the hole:agree:
try asking around

Hoolio
13-07-2009, 09:36
You can buy tyre sealant but most recommend that it's used for only a short period and at limited speeds. Four wheels I might use in a bind, on two wheels never, I wouldn't take the risk.

Gymnast
13-07-2009, 09:37
Depends where the puncture is in the tyre. Your best bet is to take it into a shop and see if they can patch it.

Personally, I wouldn't want a faulty tyre on a car, let alone on a bike. Either replace it or don't ride it.

Nayls
13-07-2009, 10:07
tyreweld is awesome!!!!

fixed my puncture,i left it in the tyre & carried on for about a year & it stayed up! :)

UNICRONICUS
13-07-2009, 12:33
Cheers for the replies! I have already had it plugged but the garage obviously didn't do it right as it still goes down after a few days. I understand the comments about not using the bike but I know it's safe if I keep on top of it, and the roads are so small and uncongested it's not really as much a threat if I were on the mainland. I might try that tyreweld for the time being though, if it doesn't work i'll just buy a new tyre earlier than I anticipated.

Andrew Cooke
13-07-2009, 13:11
you might find that if you use tyre weld they won't be interested in repairing it. It's horrible stuff that gets everywhere.

gttjames
13-07-2009, 23:19
that tyre weld is crap! I have to deal with it at work when custy's bring in a tyre that still goes down after theyv put the crap in it. And even if it does seal the hole ok it will put the tyre out of balance!

just stay away from it, get the tyre checked out and it can normally be pluged providing it hasnt been run flat and took out the sidewall or the hole isnt in the sidewall, or close to

dangerous dave
13-07-2009, 23:35
you might find that if you use tyre weld they won't be interested in repairing it. It's horrible stuff that gets everywhere.

yep.. the only wheel i ever washed that stuff out of was a bentley tyre but they are over £500 a corner:p

UNICRONICUS
14-07-2009, 11:22
that tyre weld is crap! I have to deal with it at work when custy's bring in a tyre that still goes down after theyv put the crap in it. And even if it does seal the hole ok it will put the tyre out of balance!

just stay away from it, get the tyre checked out and it can normally be pluged providing it hasnt been run flat and took out the sidewall or the hole isnt in the sidewall, or close to

Ok, that's put me off good and proper if it throws out the balance of the wheel! I'm gonna buy one of these then next month http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=566071&tier1url=Tyres&tier2url=Road-tyres&tier3url=Michelin&tier4url=Pilot-Activ Until then I'll just keep the bugger topped up with air.

THE MASTER
15-07-2009, 00:13
try taking the wheel off and chucking it in your bath . it might upset the misses . but at least youl know exactly were its loosing pressure
:eek:
oh forgot to say use some of the misses bubble bath that realy shows up were the leack is :laugh:

rich-hgtt
15-07-2009, 01:13
:laugh::laugh: I'm always doing stuff like that. Nuts and bolts in degreaser in tumblers, Ali bits in the dishwasher. If only she knew. lol