PDA

View Full Version : Mixed uo con rods and caps

JRP
12-07-2009, 01:11
does this matter or should i look at nice new ones?

people say that you need to keep them in order.

Is this really essential?

rich-hgtt
12-07-2009, 01:38
Totally essential as they're line bored as one piece and so mixing two might mean you end up with an oval rather than a perfectly circular big end.

You should be able to work out which ones go with which rods if you fit them together and look closely at the machined faces, casting marks and the gaps between the rod/cap(I.E None) for matching. Alternatively you could double check by weighing them as all 4 conrod ass'ys should be equal weight.

Seems a shame to buy new ones when the old ones are probably well up to the job

5teve L
12-07-2009, 18:01
As above, it'll either knock like mad or be to tight to turn J :(

James5
12-07-2009, 18:55
does this matter or should i look at nice new ones?

people say that you need to keep them in order.

Is this really essential?

Did you not put them back on when the engine was stripped? Have they not got any punch/ stamp marks on??

JRP
12-07-2009, 18:58
no, i didnt take the caps off... rest asured im pissed to the off.... ohh well ile buy some forged jobbies i guess. delayed again

JRP
12-07-2009, 19:00
where can i get a set cheap ?

RICHIE
12-07-2009, 19:00
no, i didnt take the caps off... rest asured im pissed to the off.... ohh well ile buy some forged jobbies i guess. delayed again

are you going to be using std pistons with them

JRP
12-07-2009, 19:05
Dunno yet, i have a standard piston and liner set waiting to go on, but am in two minds as to go steel liners forged pistons etc etc.

Would those forged con rods not fit the standard pistons etc i give up im gonna cry.

fail..... i may be in the market for an old engine if sombody has one and ile use thos con rods ;)

RICHIE
12-07-2009, 19:08
Dunno yet, i have a standard piston and liner set waiting to go on, but am in two minds as to go steel liners forged pistons etc etc.

Would those forged con rods not fit the standard pistons etc i give up im gonna cry.

fail..... i may be in the market for an old engine if sombody has one and ile use thos con rods ;)

well most of the forged rods are a floating pin type so require the pistons with circlips.

Big Jim
13-07-2009, 09:47
You could use teflon buttons with the std pistons, as long as you're really fastidious about oil change intervals. If you're not they can wear grooves in your bores!
Options are sort out your rod/caps and use all your std bits (nowt wrong with that)
Get some steel rods and machine your pistons for circlips
get some matching steel rods and forged pistons.

Funnily enough, any of which I could help you out with!