PDA

View Full Version : Turbos... I don't know what I'm doing!

kayzee
10-07-2009, 15:36
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

:laugh:

Right... whilst waiting for my perfect R5 GTT to arrive in my life, I picked up a local Punto GT3 going cheap locally, as I was carless! This is my first ever turbo car, and I'm a complete n00b at them. When I posted up pictures on Puntosports, I was told that the majority of owners than my boost controller isn't set up correctly...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/kzkz/GT3/DSC00676.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/kzkz/GT3/Boost%20Controller/DSC00688.jpg

Now most people said that I shouldn't be using the bleed valve at all, and to just plug in the actuator and turbo pipes directly into the controller. Have done this and the car feels slower and a bit lumpy if I'm honest. I was told to unwind the controller at first then gradually to increase it until I found 14-16 PSI (iirc). I did this but it made absolute no difference to performance?

My aftermarket gauge only ever goes up to around 3-4 PSI, and the one on the dash only goes up about 1/4 of the way. I posted all this up on Corsasport too as I find them very helpful, but again, the people are there are conflicting with each other, some saying I should have the bleed valve and some that I shoudn't!

Then I remembered a place with a lot of turbo owners :D hope you can help...

Andrew Cooke
10-07-2009, 17:22
I'd start by putting it back to standard, then sort it out from a known baseline

Rob@Backyardracing
10-07-2009, 18:23
and then selling it :cooter:

no offence, but there garbage! ive done a little work on 1, even with a gt28r with could only sqeeze 160hp out of it, the ecu is utter ****, and noone with a brain has
any good data/support for them.

puntosports club= numptys

kayzee
10-07-2009, 19:31

It's not running the standard ECU, it's got the Seb2 chip, which with other mods sees them running around 165bhp.

I guess if everyone continues to be 50/50 on the situation I'll probably just put it back the way it was as it was running better... and go for the (engine's) live fast, die young approach :p

Rob@Backyardracing
10-07-2009, 20:13
lol, thats my point exactly. it is a standard ecu, with a silly one-for-all chip.

the car we messed with tried a few of these seb chips, needless to say i was less than impressed.

rich-hgtt
12-07-2009, 02:00
They're utter ****e those Puntos. They dont deserve to be called GT Turbo:mad:

kayzee
15-07-2009, 16:33

Funny the guy I bought the car off...

As we were driving around on the test drive, I said to him that I was originally looking for a R5 GTT. His instant, and quite loud reply was "****! Complete and utter **** those Renault 5's. Nothing but trouble. You're far better off with a Punto mate."

:dearme: did make me laugh!

(inside... he was a big fella)

djinuk
15-07-2009, 16:40
I wouldnt worry about the r5 comment, i get the constant comments of.. " surprised that made it here, are you overheating, you got breakdown cover" yada yada yada.. truth of it is many of my friends drive financed up focus st's and fiesta st's.. terribly boring cars.

as for the punto, id sell it on persoanlly mate and get the r5 you was originally after.. it will only end in tears if it goes wrong bud.

dangerous dave
15-07-2009, 17:21
only thing worse than a french car is an italian one..

do as andy said, go standard :)

BriC
15-07-2009, 17:33
only thing worse than a french car is an italian one..

Excellent :laugh:

kayzee
16-07-2009, 01:01

truth of it is many of my friends drive financed up focus st's and fiesta st's.. terribly boring cars.

Yeah how I feel. I had a Clio 182 before, and whereas I do admit the handling was great, it just didn't excite me.

My plan with the Punto is to keep it until March/April when the MOT is due then if it goes through okay sell it off for a fair price with TAX/MOT... and if it fails lol, split it.

Either way the R5 dream lives on ;)