PDA

View Full Version : smoking again

bernard
10-07-2009, 11:37
Ive recently been getting blue smoke coming out the exhaust when parking facing up hill I know that a few stem seals have lifted could this be the reason??

I dont think it would be the turbo as it was rebuilt for me around 2000miles ago and since refitting ive added a inline filter which isn't showing much signs of swaf etc. also theres no in and out play and just normal amount of side to side. Breather system seems fine.

James5
10-07-2009, 11:39
Ive recently been getting blue smoke coming out the exhaust when parking facing up hill I know that a few stem seals have lifted could this be the reason??

I dont think it would be the turbo as it was rebuilt for me around 2000miles ago and since refitting ive added a inline filter which isn't showing much signs of swaf etc. also theres no in and out play and just normal amount of side to side. Breather system seems fine.

Do those stem seals you lazy bugger:laugh: although if it was valve stem, seals i would have thought you may have been pushing oil up through the breather hoses and filling your catch tank (well mine did a few years back after I replaced all rings).

BriC
10-07-2009, 11:44
I get this sometimes in my daily! Or, when I put my foot down, but don't quite build up full boost, then come to a stop, I get a big cloud of blueish smoke! My turbo is supposed to be quite new, so I wouldn't have thought it was that (although I'm not ruling it out).

Also, the bottom hose on the underside of my oil breather pot seemed to have come off, and I re-attached it, and I don't think I have had the problem since.. could it have been something to do with that?

Sorry for stealing your thread

bernard
10-07-2009, 12:07
Do those stem seals you lazy bugger:laugh:

:wasntme: Im not gonna take the head of to do that , all I seem to do these days bugger about with this car if its not one thing its something else :sad2: james do you think it could be that then?

bernard
10-07-2009, 12:13
I get this sometimes in my daily! Or, when I put my foot down, but don't quite build up full boost, then come to a stop, I get a big cloud of blueish smoke! My turbo is supposed to be quite new, so I wouldn't have thought it was that (although I'm not ruling it out).

Also, the bottom hose on the underside of my oil breather pot seemed to have come off, and I re-attached it, and I don't think I have had the problem since.. could it have been something to do with that?

Sorry for stealing your thread

Yeah I hope its just something simple, its only started to happen since ive just resealed all the sump and timing cover. my breather setup is really simple so I can easily tell if its that. mmm I may do a comp test later just dont like taking the plugs in and out due to a couple of the threads getting a bit dodgy.

James5
10-07-2009, 12:13
:wasntme: Im not gonna take the head of to do that , all I seem to do these days bugger about with this car if its not one thing its something else :sad2: james do you think it could be that then?

The joys of 5 ownership :laugh:

It could be piston ring wear hard starting in cold weather, blue smoke from the exhaust, and power loss going up slopes or accelerating. Worn valve stem seals also show the same symptoms. If there is constant blue smoke it is probably the rings. If the blue smoke is only during deceleration, it is most likely a seal

bernard
10-07-2009, 12:19
The joys of 5 ownership :laugh:

It could be piston ring wear hard starting in cold weather, blue smoke from the exhaust, and power loss going up slopes or accelerating. Worn valve stem seals also show the same symptoms. If there is constant blue smoke it is probably the rings. If the blue smoke is only during deceleration, it is most likely a seal

I cant see or smell any smoke while driving, only when Ive stopped and up a hill:laugh:

mmm the joys of owning a 5 what would you be doing without one.

James5
10-07-2009, 15:31
I cant see or smell any smoke while driving, only when Ive stopped and up a hill:laugh:

mmm the joys of owning a 5 what would you be doing without one.

I still think Valve steam seals matey - What I think is happening is when the car is sitting on a slope / hill, oil is leaking down the valve stem past the seal and accumulates in the cylinder chamber thus when you start or idle the car on the slope the oil is burned off out the exhaust pipe.

bernard
10-07-2009, 16:06
yeah mate seems to make sence, also what I forgot to mention was I overfilled the oil a bit after doing the sump then the first time it started to smoke on a hill I drained it to the correct level but is still the same.cheers

James5
10-07-2009, 16:21
I've had a smilar problem on my last C1J engine where the valve steam seals had gone, at first I thought it was rings so got some new Total seals and re-honed the steel liners, but still had the same problem so off came the head again. And this time I changed all the valve stem seals and this seemed to cure my problem but I was also getting excessive crankcase pressure when the valve stem seals had gone aswell as filling my catch tank with oil whilst boosting.