View Full Version : Car conked out... again, and now won't start

Tillax
06-07-2009, 22:00
I hope somebody can help here because I'm miffed. :scratch:

I was boosting the other day when car juddered and then the engine cut out at a really bloody inconvenient moment :sad:.

Initially I thought, it was something terminal but there was no smoke, no drama it was just as if I'd run out of petrol... only after running the car lower on fuel than usual the night before I'd filled the tank that morning.

Firstly, I checked to see if I had sparks on all the plugs, i have. Then I removed the lobstery thing off the top of the carb and got someone to turn the ignition, and pump the accelerator I couldn't see any fuel. So then I poured petrol into the carb, it starts and runs nicely and as normal... for about ten seconds. Then I located the fuel pump relay and bridged the red and white wires, I hear a muffled thud and then 5 seconds later I hear the pump whining, it runs for 30-45 seconds then stops. I tried starting the car with the pump whining, no joy and no fuel visible in the carb. I also tried bridging the yellow and white wires on the relay and cranking the engine, still no visible fuel in the carb and still no joy :mad:.

As you can probably tell, I'm no mechanic but whats stopping the fuel getting from my tank to the carb? :scratch:

Help, really bloody appreciated..

IANMM
06-07-2009, 22:04
have you checked the voltage at the pump....if there is voltage there your pump is foobarded

bernard
06-07-2009, 22:05
sounds like the pumps had it, same happened to me when I first got my 5. try testing in some petrol.

IANMM
06-07-2009, 22:06
blocked fuel filter.....faulty fuel pressure regulator check all its connections

Tillax
06-07-2009, 22:14
blocked fuel filter.....faulty fuel pressure regulator check all its connections

Thanks all,

Whereabouts is the fuel pressure regulator located?

Oh and by the way Ian, your car is looking awsome.

IANMM
06-07-2009, 22:17
below the brake master cylinder......bottom back left of the engine

IANMM
06-07-2009, 22:19
Thanks mate roll on the next project :>)

Tillax
06-07-2009, 23:49
I think I'll start by changing the filter and pump, does anyone know where I can buy new replacements, new if possible? CGB do an "uprated" version but I doubt that's appropriate for me.

Renault quoted over £300 spondooleys for a fuel pump... I laughed down the phone at the Renault parts guy. The worst thing is that somebody... somewhere is paying this amount, otherwise they'd be selling it for less.

Shane P
07-07-2009, 00:09
I think I'll start by changing the filter and pump, does anyone know where I can buy new replacements, new if possible? CGB do an "uprated" version but I doubt that's appropriate for me.

The pump from CGB will be fine, and you should be able to get the filter from any motor factors :)

R5GTTRaider
07-07-2009, 08:12
thing that worries me more is youve put car conked out.....again so what happened last time? id vote for filter in the pump but not sure if its happened before

Tillax
07-07-2009, 08:23
thing that worries me more is youve put car conked out.....again so what happened last time? id vote for filter in the pump but not sure if its happened before

Two weeks ago my alternator gave up the ghost so that was the first time I conked out! When it rains it pours I guess!

Kenobi
07-07-2009, 08:30
Fuel Pump Relay.

IANMM
07-07-2009, 09:20
check all your voltages first.......at fuel pump at relay etc it might be just a broken wire or lose connection first then move onto to replacing parts ie relay, fuel pump etc.....

Bommer
07-07-2009, 10:28
I had same problem m8 this worked for me no pump changing or relay take the petrol pipe of the carb and fill with petrol make sure the pipe is full then do the same with the carb fill chamber sorted all done and you will have petrol pumping again if not do it again hope this help without spending money:) :agree:

Tillax
07-07-2009, 12:35
Fuel Pump Relay.

Thanks but I've already checked the relay by shorting the red and white wires to get the pump to come on permanently. it didn't and no fuel is visible in the carb.

unless of course there is something else that i should know?

IANMM
07-07-2009, 12:39
have you checked there is 12v at the red wire?

and you would need to bridge the yellow and white as yellow is ign live

Tillax
07-07-2009, 12:39
I had same problem m8 this worked for me no pump changing or relay take the petrol pipe of the carb and fill with petrol make sure the pipe is full then do the same with the carb fill chamber sorted all done and you will have petrol pumping again if not do it again hope this help without spending money:) :agree:

Thanks bommer, I appreciate that this might work but I really dont want the same thing to happen anytime soon so I think I'l replace the pump and filter.

Tillax
07-07-2009, 12:43
have you checked there is 12v at the red wire?

and you would need to bridge the yellow and white as yellow is ign live

Well Ian, I don't have a voltmeter but judging by the strong spark I get when touching the two wires i'd say there's 12v. Hmmm Technical. :D

Tillax
07-07-2009, 12:44
I did also try bridging the yellow and the white, but still no joy.

Tillax
07-07-2009, 12:45
I've just ordered a new pump and filter so I look forward to getting petrol in my face tommorrow

IANMM
07-07-2009, 12:46
ha ha ha class :)

Tillax
11-07-2009, 11:10
I changed the fuel pump and filter yesterday, turned the key and it only went and bloody started. Chuffed. :) I found that the whole experience of diagnosing (with the help of you lot) and then fixing the car to be a very satisfying indeed.

Maximum respect to RTOC.

Thanks

IANMM
11-07-2009, 17:25
glad you sorted it mate :)