PDA

View Full Version : smoke / turbo issues.

royz
06-07-2009, 18:45
after noticing that when my cars hot after about 1 hour of runing i get small puffs of white/grey smoke thats oily smelling when coming off boost. so today after removing my turbo to have a look if theres any show of oil all looks clean.almost no play in shaft only thing i could see was that it looks like the comp wheel has melting on the edges? as for the exhast side all is clean apart from a hairline crack (pink line in pic) has anybody any idea what could of caused the damage to the comp wheel and what can be done for the hairline crack.
thanks

IANMM
06-07-2009, 18:53
whats your oil pressure like at your turbo..? could be lack of it

RICHIE
06-07-2009, 18:57
the hairline crack is very common, it does look like there has been some sort of contact on those blades on the comp side

royz
06-07-2009, 19:00
oil pressure is fine and all was fine over weekend as i went down to wrs at silverstone.

Markey Mark (BD)
06-07-2009, 19:03
Something has been sucked throught the turbo to do damage like that to the compressor wheel.

IANMM
06-07-2009, 19:04
what guage you got OE or mechanical one? could be the seals on the way out

royz
06-07-2009, 20:11
oe gauge and also put a after market one on to check all was well. after looking at the air filter there is damage to the cotton and mesh. i used to have the filter low down before refitting the fog lights. so it could be wen i moved te filter back up some small stone chips have been have got in there.

royz
06-07-2009, 20:15
as for the seals i tought you would be able to see oil residue or some tell tale sign they are leting oil past.

Adam L
06-07-2009, 22:16
With damage like that to the compressor wheel, the shaft assembley is going to be out of balance, and it'll start to wear on the bearings unevenely. I'm suprised it hasn't started to howl yet, but if you've got a loud exhaust and airfilter you're probably not going to hear it...

royz
07-07-2009, 17:02
ive not heard it make any sounds other than the normal sounds from a turbo. i know when they squeel they are not in a good state of health. but have had none of that.

V Man
07-07-2009, 21:00
My old turbo looked a bit like that after it was starved of oil. Have you took the oil return off and checked its getting plenty of oil through the turbo?

royz
07-07-2009, 21:16
theres plenty of oil there. its looking like its sucked some crap through. so will teach me to make sure the filters clean and to check things over when playing about.