PDA

View Full Version : starting issue..?

raj
05-07-2009, 23:50
ok its been a while since i finished my most recent rebuild, ill upload it soon:)
anyway so the cars been sat in the garage ever since. the only thing left to do is to fit the i.c to carb pipework which i think is going to be abit fiddly.

anyway, i fire the car up at the weekends and let it run for a few mins up to temp, my question is....
why does it take a while for it to fire up? i mean i have to turn the engine over for a good 30 secs before she fire up.? and yes im doing this with the choke on to:agree:

once its up and running its fine, although it "maybe" a wee bit lumpy.! but that "maybe" my imagination:scratch: been along time since i heard a 5 you see:crap:

everything nice and tight, i cant see there being any air leaks as i have a thing with overtightening everything.

could not having the boost circuit/pipes complete cause this.?

any suggestions..?

Sparkie
06-07-2009, 00:03
rings bedding in -> lack of vacuum from cylinder -> not much fuel being sucked into the engine.

raj
06-07-2009, 07:12
rings bedding in -> lack of vacuum from cylinder -> not much fuel being sucked into the engine.

lol, if thats the case only driving the car will tell. going to be a while before i get it out on the road. this flapping i.c to carb pipework is annoying to say the least:crap:

raj
07-07-2009, 21:50
OK, so still not driven the 5. but regardless of that ive also noticed another thing.!

after cranking and cranking until the engine fires up ive noticed that when cold or even when up to temp,when i blip the throttle the rpm's drop for a second and then rise:scratch: i get the impression if/when i take it out the car will stall due to it doing this.?

could it be the carb?now i admit although i can rebuilt carbs no prob,i cant set them up 100% no matter how much i try:crap:

also,ive got the whole boost piping fitted:agree:, but i ive noticed the following...
im unsure if this is correct or not but ive always thought that when you rev the engine that the std boost gauge will rise a little bit then drop back down.? mine seems to not really move at all:scratch: yes its all plumbed in:agree: infact it looks like the needle goes to -vac when i rev it:scratch: ive even shortened the actuator rod by about 4 full turns.

Sparkie
07-07-2009, 22:52
could it be the carb?now i admit although i can rebuilt carbs no prob,i cant set them up 100% no matter how much i try:crap:

try the accelerator pump jet. - too much or too little and it bogs down.

im unsure if this is correct or not but ive always thought that when you rev the engine that the std boost gauge will rise a little bit then drop back down.? mine seems to not really move at all:scratch: yes its all plumbed in:agree: infact it looks like the needle goes to -vac when i rev it:scratch: ive even shortened the actuator rod by about 4 full turns.

i can't remember a standard gauge ever going up when revved on the spot.
you really need an aftermarket one to see what the vacuum is doing as well as the booooooost.

raj
08-07-2009, 01:58
try the accelerator pump jet. - too much or too little and it bogs down.

i can't remember a standard gauge ever going up when revved on the spot.
you really need an aftermarket one to see what the vacuum is doing as well as the booooooost.

lol rajputin:laugh:

aah yes, it could well be the accelerator pump jet.! how do i find out if its this.? it must obviously need adjusting via the rod but by how much.?

Sparkie
08-07-2009, 11:12
not necessarily - you might need to take the jet out and poke some very thin wire down the end of the crimped end to clean it out. maybe even take it apart and clean the internal ball inside it...