PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy under 3k

clee
05-07-2009, 13:17
Started to happen on the way home from Rockingham .Car runs fine and no loss of power but below 3k it sounds and feels ' lumpy'.
Changed the plugs for new and checked spark on all cylinders and they are all fine but yesterday it's still doing it .What/how to check next ?
Could it be the ignition module ? Since putting the bigger turbo on the heat in the rear has skyrocketed .It is lumpy from dead cold and the same when very hot .
Would I glean any info from Adapt live readings ? Ign v revs ?
Water temp sensor wiring looks a bit dodgepot as well it's been sitting above the silencer and looks a tad cooked ...I'll rewire it .

Scoff
05-07-2009, 14:34
Its worth pulling the map off the ECU and making sure nothing has corrupted in either the ignition or fuel map's lee.

Can you tell if it's going rich or lean ?

Andrew Cooke
05-07-2009, 14:36
compression test, and compare plugs.

clee
05-07-2009, 15:19
Plugs that came out are all pretty similar though one is more beige looking to the others greyish .They don't look bad at all .
I'll pull the map off Scoff ...but I can't find that one on my laptop ...I can't have downloaded it after our last outing .Can you please send me that and could I send you this ?
I'll do a comp check now and see what the new plugs look like .

Scoff
05-07-2009, 15:49
you'll know if it's corrupted just by looking at it. Your looking for spikes, etc :)

clee
05-07-2009, 15:58
No spikes ...just found the latest map on my laptop .I've downloaded the map from the ecu and logged a lumpy run in the garage .Uploaded the latest map from the lappy and no change ...still lumpy .
I'll let her cool down pull the plugs and do a comp test .
Surely there's some technology that'll let me laptop talk to Scoff headquarters in real time :cool::laugh:

Os8472
05-07-2009, 16:07
1 thing I've learned going efi is don't always jump straight on the efi system and asume its gotta be a fault with it, start with the same stuff you would on a carb'd R5, a HT lead could be playing silly buggers.

Whats your fuel pressure like?

How are your valve clearences?

ok now move on to ECU faults

Has the timing sensor shifted position slighty?

Is the coil pack breaking down?

clee
05-07-2009, 16:16
Fuel fine 3 bar .New plugs ,checked leads as best I can with one of those inline lead to plg test lighty things ..I'm suspecting the ignition module .I was looking to move it out of the engine bay at some point .

Os8472
05-07-2009, 16:22
Providing it doesn't sit directly next to somit very hot it should be fine, mine is on the inner wing and still perfectly cool

clee
05-07-2009, 16:28
Mine sits next to something very hot ....a dorty big V6 in the back of the car :devil:

Os8472
05-07-2009, 16:37
Mine sits next to something very hot ....a dorty big V6 in the back of the car :devil:

That'd proberly do it then lol

clee
06-07-2009, 17:39
Found a new module on Ebay .Listed for a 25 and the part number is not GTA but it may do ,I'll talk to PaulB :)
I've been reading through the electronic injection manual for the Z7U and J7T and it looks like it'll do the job .One thing did suprise me though ....

' The piezo-electric component ( knock sensor ) blah blah blah ,explains function .....
Sends a signal to the ECU that then detects pinking cylinder by cylinder and makes corrections by memorising the number of times pinking occurs in each cylinder .

Is this true or just a bit of an error in the translation from the French ??
Very clever if it does, one of the Alpine lads has said it can before and I poo-pooed it .
It must be able to distinguish between the different frequencies and do what though ??

clee
10-07-2009, 08:46
Checked compression ,apart from #1 as the top few threads are missing from the spark hole and I can't get the gauge to seal .They are all 160/170 and as #1 plug looks the same as the others I reckon it's OK .

clee
20-07-2009, 19:25
Still lumpy .....dodgy injector ??