PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumption

djinuk
04-07-2009, 23:29
My r5 seems to be drinking fuel,. ive not really noticed must of a fuel smell (everynow and then slightly, but the first quarter of a full tank went after aroudn 28 miles of steady driving (4 small journeys) .. Its all standard , boost and turbo.. Im wondering if its simply due to being such a small turbo and spooling at the slightest chance..

Maybe its normal just seems damn thirsty really.

djinuk
05-07-2009, 00:01
btw, ive read up on the yellow bung etc, but in these cases there always seems to be a fuel smell or a puddle, however on mine there dosent so i was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions.

IANMM
05-07-2009, 09:25
just got to check all fuel pipes for leaks and splits as sometimes you have to move the pipes to reveal the split.....is the carb standard? you should be getting preaty good MPG with a standard setup so my money is on a split that only leaks when its under load

djinuk
05-07-2009, 10:16
i surpose that makes good sence.. i have a feeling this may be like finding a needle in a haystack.. Happy days :D

Thanks man, i should of though of that really.

IANMM
05-07-2009, 10:20
its a two man job really start from the front of the car and work backwards as you want the engine running and it will get warm quickly......also check the connections on fuel pump and fuel filter ;)

djinuk
07-07-2009, 07:42
attacked this job last night in the rain and believe we found and fixed the problem.. turns out the car had a bodge where one of the copper solid fuel pipes had broke at some point.. a piece of 10mm rubber hose had been put over the top and jubilee'd on (it was just under the cover trim), i could see fuel dropping from here so ive remoed the full lenght of pipe and cut up a new section to lenght so hopefully that should be that sorted :D

thanks

IANMM
07-07-2009, 08:44
cool mate glad you sorted it :)