PDA

View Full Version : Dilema - To sell or to break up?

BWilkie
04-07-2009, 11:24
Morning all. Not posed on here for a while.

Now its coming close to ND I have been taking the 5 out on the odd weekend, but since the last ND where i noticed i cracked the block slightly on the water way, I was planing on changing the block over and rebuilding the engine.

Since 3 years ago at ND before the ext W/G was on, my boost creep and high ambient temps caused slight cooking to the rings and ever since (15k - 20k miles) I have had very slight blow-by. No dumping of oil but you can feel/see there is more crank pressure from the breathers. This combined with the crack block meant it was time to rebuild before this years ND09.

The problem is, I now am interested in a D16 Civic turbo project (thanks Backyard :) )

The dilema is, I prefer the look of the 5 to the civic and but its time I feel for more power and the EFI stronger engine is appealing. Also its time for a change?

However I dont think with the body condition of the 5 I will get that much for it as a whole. The engine components would probably fetch more than the car. The ultra light crack and fly and VNT + the customer ext W/G. The high comp head etc. So do I break it up and risk the shell being scrapped? Or would someone buy the shell?

In terms of suspension components and lack or rust its a very good shell. Or recently been replaced with new bushes and wishbones and sus components.

Tough call and would appreciate some feed back of your advice.

I think the move to go for the civic is pretty much going to happen and I only have room for 1 car. So its the 5 or the Ciivic, not both.

michael tierney
04-07-2009, 12:55
body wise give it a good check over and under to assess the cost of putting the shell right,if its too rotton then u have ur answer.if its salvageable then see have u got the time,sort it and go full efi:)(i take it u are fond of renault 5 turbo's??)

BWilkie
05-07-2009, 13:05
Body isnt rotten and underside is very good.

It will need a full (proper) respray.

But I am in the search for something faster and that will handle better.

The C1J is at full potential nearly and I cant think of any light weight high powered engine that will easily fit in the 5.

r5 rich
05-07-2009, 18:45
sell it me being a local memeber i will try and make good use out of it if it was cheap enough!!!:)