PDA

View Full Version : Water pump? Fault finding?

sonic-jdm
29-06-2009, 12:50
Guys ive just done a full system coolent flush today, and noticed that the water pump dosent seem to be that powerfull?

What checks could i do on the water pump to see if its on its way out?

If i remember correctly back in the days when i was 18 and had my first R5 i used to be able to rev it and see the top hose start to culaps:scratch:

Cheers Mark

Brigsy
29-06-2009, 12:58
The top hose only collapses when the thermostat is shut.

If the pump is squirting water into the header tank it should be working ok.

sonic-jdm
29-06-2009, 14:26
The top hose only collapses when the thermostat is shut.

If the pump is squirting water into the header tank it should be working ok.

just been out to see and yes i have got water squirting out into the tank from the hose on top.
BUT is only trickling out intill you rev it then its poring out.:scratch:

ive just compared it to my astra van:laugh: and on the van its poring out when its just idleing:scratch:

R5GTTRaider
29-06-2009, 14:36
just been out to see and yes i have got water squirting out into the tank from the hose on top.

ive just compared it to my astra van:laugh: and on the van its poring out when its just idleing:scratch:
few many years of design and wear between the two mate

Arrows
29-06-2009, 14:38

I am sure they all run like this, having worked on many over the years they all increase in flow when revs increase as this is the way it was designed.