PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Compliance for Oz - the story so far

Woznaldo
27-06-2009, 12:53
Some of may remember that i've been trying to get my GTT registered for road use in Oz since moving down under in 2006. After various dealings with local garages, I finally found somewhere that could help me out with being financially raped!

The garage i'm using at the moment has a very good engineer he uses so, we got him to look over the 5 a few days ago and this is what he found:

-No carbon canister (not fitted as std)

-Park Brake and Brake warning lights need to be separate (I can wire in a LED next to the original light).

-Recaro seats fitted have no identification std to convert for Oz ADR std and rails are held in by M6 bolts (M8 Req'd) Might need some new seats?

-Fuel lines are too close to exhaust and require shielding (some thermo sleeving should sort that)

-Speedo (electic) not working (potentially a new independent speedo)

-Exhaust too loud at 4000rpm (baffle now fitted)

-Boost pressure circuit not set up correctly, turbo giving max boost all the time? (not true, engineer doesn't know about the 'Cup mod':D (probably put it back to std to get it through)

The best news is the engineer has classed the car as a commercial vehicle so no side impact bars are required!!!!

The engineer commented that he loved the zippy nature of the car and had wheel spin in the first three gears! Probably more to do with the old worn tyres!

Should cost about 2-300 quid to put it right and then the fun begins!!!:devil:

jesus in the seat of a 5
27-06-2009, 13:21
Congratts mate , bonzer` boosing ya flammin gallagh...:D, look out skippy..;)..:wasntme:

R5GTTRaider
27-06-2009, 13:55
dam im glad i dont live in oz,
am i right in saying you cant modify the engine more than 10% over its stock bhp?

can you explain why auzies are so strict over tuning?

Os8472
27-06-2009, 15:49
Well now your in OZ you have to cook everything on a BBQ, so get a flamer kit and cook using that, the locals will appricate that:agree:

Woznaldo
27-06-2009, 23:10
Thanks for the comments.

The compliance inspection is just for initial registration is is only done once. Things like pod filters are out but, once done, you can get away with quite a lot. It's still more restrictive than UK but, not enough to stop me having fun!

As part of the inspection I had to get the car weighed on a weigh bridge and was a little bit gutted it came out at 810kg with half a tank of fuel:(. The only bit of sound deadening left in the car is the rubber backed foam behind the dash.

alister
29-06-2009, 08:23
My friends over in Perth, he used to be a member on here, and he shipped his 5 gt turbo when he moved out afew years ago and he still cant get his 5 on the road!
Hes been told its too low, that he has 'Racing' seats and he cant use them, problems with his speedo not working, loads of other bits and bobs they werent happy about aswell, funny thing was the day they told him his car was too low they had a ferrari in and was skimming the deck yet his 5 is only about 35mm lower than standard!

Woznaldo
30-06-2009, 05:13
As with a lot of these things, it's down to the engineer's interpretation of the rules (those rules being ADR or Australian Design Rules). The engineer i'm now using does lots of big jobs where structure integrity could be compromised. Things like roof chops and suicide doors.

As long as the car has 100mm clearance at its lowest point, not including suspension parts, then it should be all good. The bottom line with all of the engineering stuff is do what it takes to get the car through and then return to your preferred ride height and roll the dice with the local plod.

Is your mate Tambo?

paul b
30-06-2009, 09:03
brilliant news......

good rules and all safety related too,so you should be greatful they check em over properly..LOL...

wheelspin in 3 gears, at least he tested properly, they do a 50 foot circle in the UK,LMAO..

alister
30-06-2009, 17:30
Yeah Tambo, known him for nearly 13 years, have fond memorys of when he first got his r5, must of been 10 years ago now! I was in my little axgt at the time, then as I went thru afew axgt's killing them all he did a pretty much bear shell rebuild, the engine bay was a work of art, just a shame he cant drive it after all the hard work he put into it.

Woznaldo
01-07-2009, 15:37
Once i'm finally on the road, i'll let Tambo know how I got on and what he'll need to do to get his car squared away.

The engineering part should be Australia generic but, the state specific registration might have a few small differences?

Woznaldo
11-09-2009, 07:54
Top news today!

The Engineer came back for the compliance re-inspection and has passed my 5 for road use in Oz!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

I'm over the moon:D:D:burnrubber::burnrubber::D:D

I can now go to the local registration office and get some plates, then insurance and a road worthy inspection (mot) but before it will pass the mot it needs 4 new tyres. I'm going to take the opportunity to refurb the wheels at work.

Bigfoot
11-09-2009, 08:19
Nice one mate :agree:

Trevhib
11-09-2009, 09:57
Well done Woz. What a journey! :)

Junglist
11-09-2009, 10:41
nice one :agree:

finsta
11-09-2009, 18:15
congrats mate. glad you got there in the end:agree: