PDA

View Full Version : Why oh why

TrixNFlix
27-06-2009, 10:20
Right put the 5 back together. And came to crank it over , no joy, just a high pitch noise from the starter motor. Took the starter motor off and it looks like it's being chewing the flywheel and now they are not making contact. Realy starting to think this car is jinxed! Oh god when will the misery end! Anyways want to check the wiring is right. Positive has a wire straight to battery and one to alternater. Does it earth itself through the gearbox? Any suggestions of what I should do? Cheers andy

paul b
27-06-2009, 10:26
firstly , the dowel for the starter is in the wrong hole....

second....earths to gearbox, and one from body to rear of engine, near water pump...

TrixNFlix
27-06-2009, 11:12
Thanks for the response Paul. When I rebuilt the engine I Put in a new dowel as there wasn't one there. It is located in the hole which is second from the back at the top. Earth is missing from gearbox mount at the front so I'll put a new one on. Any other suggestions of what I can do? Can I put a temporary earth on the starter to see if the solonoid is popping out? Were would I put this ? Through one of the bolt holes?

markey b
27-06-2009, 11:30
loosen starter bolts, tap it with a bar and do it back up. sounds like it out of mesh, or bad earth means its not engaging fully, put a jump lead from neg on batt to engine lifting eye for a quick check

TrixNFlix
30-06-2009, 23:00
Yep Markey b you were right, it wasn't earthing properly. So in the meantime I have made up some temporary earth straps from electrical cables:ashamed:

Does anyone know were to buy some decent earth straps from at a decent price? Andy

J$£5GTT
30-06-2009, 23:58
Yep Markey b you were right, it wasn't earthing properly. So in the meantime I have made up some temporary earth straps from electrical cables:ashamed:

Does anyone know were to buy some decent earth straps from at a decent price? Andy

maybe a descent car stereo place...
:cool:
could try here tho,get urself some closed ends an braiding,
make your own,most of the 'ready made' ones are crap.

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

TrixNFlix
01-07-2009, 00:10
Cheers justin , consider them bought:agree:

IANMM
01-07-2009, 08:51
you can get some 2nd hand ones from CGB or i did post about earth straps on the group buys as i can get them through work :)