PDA

View Full Version : What are the best cams?

sly-sy
26-06-2009, 14:31
Am still looking at the piper 285 cam shaft which seems tried n tested

But someone mentioned cat cams to me n had a nose at their extensive site, do alot of various cams for the c1j

Anyone got a set fitted or can recommend which company to talk to :)

IANMM
26-06-2009, 14:41
:offtopic:I got the 285 fitted to mine.....works well with the vernier pulley not had any experience with cat cams but i liked the look of the 290 piper cam....sorry to ramble just thought i would put me 2p worth in :)

Bommer
26-06-2009, 14:46
I got a cat cam 285 works well or did untill i did a bearing in the engine t25 turbo very quick :cry::cry:

sly-sy
13-08-2009, 08:58
Where did you purchase your cat cam from?

i spoke to k-tec, the cat cam they list was made for them to mirror the piper cam but couldnt give me any info on valve clearances etc

all i got was "i assume it would be the same settings/lift etc as the piper listing"

didnt fill me with much confidence.....

CGM list it but he only buys in from ktec anyway according to k-tec....

Andrew Cooke
13-08-2009, 09:23
Where did you purchase your cat cam from?

i spoke to k-tec, the cat cam they list was made for them to mirror the piper cam but couldnt give me any info on valve clearances etc

all i got was "i assume it would be the same settings/lift etc as the piper listing"

didnt fill me with much confidence.....

CGM list it but he only buys in from ktec anyway according to k-tec....

it's not the same as the Piper cam, clearances are .3 inlet, .35 exhaust

Andrew Cooke
13-08-2009, 09:27
with a T2/T25 turbo you're probably better off with a standard cam, or maybe a piper 270

Mart
13-08-2009, 09:40
There is no 'best' cam. You match it to the application it's to be used for and/or the turbo that's in situ.

Spooky
13-08-2009, 09:48
Might be worth comparing cams on here.

http://www.rtoc.org/cam/

sly-sy
13-08-2009, 10:08
i'm in the process of porting/flowing, replacing valves etc with a spare head i got so while the head is off (soon) it would be the best time to fit a cam, got new pushrods, rockers and rocker shaft to go on also

i was gonna go for a piper 285 but few mates with clio's are loving the cat cams quality but not come across many people running the cat cams in the 5's and what setup they require.

want more power... lol

engine is effectively standard but with the following:

balanced crank
CTM 9 slot flywheel
Ktec front mount I/Cooler
t25 hybrid turbo
carb choke flap removed + properly jetted
boris downpipe
scorpion 2-1/4" exhaust system

turbo now has a .49 exhaust housing, 360 thrust bearing, unsure of trim wheel angle - turbo dynamics built it from the turbo below - he said the turbo is now rated @ 180bhp @ 24 psi ( obviously the engine wont produce that yet, need to get few other bits sorted)

the turbo was originally from a dicovery with a 270 thrust, modified oil ways and different compressor wheel and housing (bought at a exstortionate million pounds from GT Tuning who ripped me off royally)

Am only running 12 psi manifold pressure, afr 0f 12 on boost and rollered this saturday for the first time

104 @ 4,859 @ wheels
129.6 @ 5,460 @ fly
139.8 torque @ 3,674 rpm ( only got standard actuator on and it flutters abit as boost comes on) do have another one to fit which will do 10-25psi...

wanted to get head fully done, cam in and start looking at roller bearing turbo's :)

Mart
13-08-2009, 10:38
Decide on turbo spec first, then choose the cam.

For example, if you're thinking track use & a larger turbo, you'll probably want a cam more suited to a higher rpm powerband. If it's country lane driving, with minimal turbo lag, you'd want a mild cam/maybe even retain the o.e stick.

sly-sy
13-08-2009, 11:08
Problem is that i'm unsure of what spec/direction to go with the turbo

Its one of the areas i dont really know much about and my experiance with gt tuning put me write off! thay chargesd me 650 for my original turbo, turbo dynamics said he could have built, supplied ( with a ex housing that werent ****ed!! - he was digraced with gt tuning one supplied..) for 400 squid...

i know how they work and what they do but not got a clue what to really look for in the next turbo...

i hear things like vnt turbos, roler bearing and diffeent makes of bearing etc

i'd like to aim for getting my engine up to 225 bhp ish

just wanna get it above 200 mainly so i can piss my mate off in his clio! lol

but aim for this car is mainly trackdays & shows

Spooky
13-08-2009, 11:22
There are cars on here that have achieved 180-200 bhp with thought out modifications.

Arguably the most essential part of this will be fuelling the carb correctly.

My car isn't anything special, all I have in situ is the standard cam, t28 turbo, fmic and side exit...fuelled for 20psi at the manifold now...goes very well.

You need to concentrate on fuelling, then look into maintaining good charge temps.

Also think of weight reduction, losing the rear seats, spare wheel, general crap in the car etc...

Jono
14-08-2009, 15:45
I run a piper 285 with a full T25 hyrid. It needs to see 3.5 k before it makes any real boost but after that it will pull hard all the way to 7k. It works well on the track where you can keep it on the boil, but it can me a little dopey around town. Saying that it does make for good mpgs on the motorway as its sits at 70 (ahem) off boost.