PDA

View Full Version : mot failure....does anyone else have a gap here..

Chris Holt
24-06-2009, 21:46
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi, when looking at the passenger side at the wheel arch contour (when looking at the engine bays) as the wheel arch slopes towards the ground i can see the wing and through to the floor (i have taken the mud flaps out)
should there be that gap there or is there something missing?

R5GTTRaider
24-06-2009, 22:20
yes there is a gap between the bulk head and inner arch, can only but think its to let heat out
tell me they didnt fail you on it?

Chris Holt
24-06-2009, 22:41

fortunately i was advised that i need to get it done, so didn't actually put it through- so haven't wasted the money- but there has to be something in it as i dont have a centre box and he let that slide... i need to speak to my mechanic who took it there. ill keep you updated. think ill put a pic up as well to get your opinion.

chris

Gttnutter
25-06-2009, 01:41
if you mean the wheel arch cover then its there to stop the crap flicking up into the bay...not an mot failure though i wouldnt of thought

R5GTTRaider
25-06-2009, 10:33

fortunately i was advised that i need to get it done, so didn't actually put it through- so haven't wasted the money- but there has to be something in it as i dont have a centre box and he let that slide... i need to speak to my mechanic who took it there. ill keep you updated. think ill put a pic up as well to get your opinion.

chris
mate take your car else were, i aint got a a centre box on my scorp system, its apparent that he noes nothing about r5's dont waste you money or time with them, if qestioned about the gap tell them look at the other saide, exactly the same and its for the air flow over the engine as its such a tight small engine bay

Bass J
25-06-2009, 13:51
On my clio im running no arch liners at all (weight saving lol) and mine passed an MOT ...as said take it to another garage ;)

Chris Holt
25-06-2009, 17:36

Okay so I have spoken to the MOT place and I have explained that is a feature of the original manufactures design to have that gap there… they have understood and are going to reschedule to put it through MOT- no extra charge..

Big favour can you kind RTOC members post a few picture of your engine bays on that section so I can prove it is a standard thing….

Many thanks

chris

R5GTTRaider
25-06-2009, 17:47

Okay so I have spoken to the MOT place and I have explained that is a feature of the original manufactures design to have that gap there… they have understood and are going to reschedule to put it through MOT- no extra charge..

Big favour can you kind RTOC members post a few picture of your engine bays on that section so I can prove it is a standard thing….

Many thanks

chris
good im glad they come to there senses, and plus if they complain about the centre box, pursuming you have a scorp system, tell them straight its a road pipe, with a stamp and that the design is to maxuimise flow by having one box but beeing it a bigger one to reduce noise, still at least they didnt say bollox

The new Bill J
25-06-2009, 18:00
and plus if they complain about the centre box, pursuming you have a scorp system, tell them straight its a road pipe, with a stamp and that the design is to maxuimise flow by having one box but beeing it a bigger one to reduce noise, still at least they didnt say bollox

Did you read his post? If so, go and read it again, paying particular attention to this bit:

".....as i dont have a centre box and HE LET THAT SLIDE.."

*DING DONG* This is the last call for all passengers for the fail boat. It'll soon be departing from dock 4!

:cry:

Chris, as R5GTTFailure ;) said, ish, you don't need a centre box on your exhaust system, so the tester was right to "let that slide".

Gttnutter
25-06-2009, 18:21
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=165&pictureid=5410

i new marks was pretty bare that side

Chris Holt
25-06-2009, 18:22

fair enough, i pleed ignorance on this- not that clued up on the legislation on MOT- I know that the exhaust system originally had a centre box before I had a custom one made ( not a named brand)
still as i dont have too many other options right now if anyone has a pic they can send showing that gap it would be very helpful. thanks

Gttnutter
25-06-2009, 18:25
maybe just make it out here

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=32&pictureid=5567

but if your talkng further down into the wing then i've not any photos

Chris Holt
25-06-2009, 18:29
gttnutter those are both perfect... thanks very much

R5GTTRaider
25-06-2009, 18:30
Did you read his post? If so, go and read it again, paying particular attention to this bit:

".....as i dont have a centre box and HE LET THAT SLIDE.."

*DING DONG* This is the last call for all passengers for the fail boat. It'll soon be departing from dock 4!

:cry:

Chris, as R5GTTFailure ;) said, ish, you don't need a centre box on your exhaust system, so the tester was right to "let that slide".
im saying they may not let it slide this time tard:dearme:

Chris Holt
25-06-2009, 18:37
well those pictures basically show what i have so that is what i need. so thanks for the help.

The new Bill J
25-06-2009, 22:27
im saying they may not let it slide this time tard:dearme:

Why would they all of a sudden randomly pull up something that's perfectly fine, that they didn't pull up before? :scratch:

What next? Sorry mate, it's got a bonnet, that's a fail :cartman: