PDA

View Full Version : Anti perc fan

FurioKid
24-06-2009, 10:34
Just wondering, i've removed my anti perc fan, and as such it can be a pain to start when left for an hour or so after a long run. I didn't bother fitting it cos it used to stay on for upto an hour after switch off, and eventually killed my battery.

I was wondering though, if i refitted it and put it on a switch to run when driving but switch off when stopped, would it make a difference?

R5GTTRaider
24-06-2009, 10:39
no it wouldnt make a diffrence, as its ment to be there to pass cold air over the carb base as the exaust is right underneth,

Bigfoot
24-06-2009, 10:52
The anti perc fan is only there to cool the carb down after a long run just incase you need to start the car straight away, eg at a petrol station. The carb would have cooled down after an hour so you got problems elsewhere. Plus the anti-perc does not run whilst the engine is running.

FurioKid
24-06-2009, 11:06
K no worries then, if i leave it for an hour it does start after a couple of pumps of the accelerater, but can be a pain in the arse if started before.

i have heat wrapped my exhaust to try and keep the heat down a bit

James5
24-06-2009, 11:17
The anti perc fan is only there to cool the carb down after a long run just incase you need to start the car straight away, eg at a petrol station. The carb would have cooled down after an hour so you got problems elsewhere. Plus the anti-perc does not run whilst the engine is running.

:agree: Agree with the man with the BigFoot, mine used to come on about 5-10 mins after turning the car off after a long drive and parking up and it would stay on for about 20mins or so.

Chris Hebden
24-06-2009, 12:26

My anti perc does run when the engine is running. What i did while i was waiting for a new switch was run a switch and turn the perc fan on and leave it while everything was switched off, left it for 10-15mins and went back out to switch it off again! A pain if you forget it though

ScottGT
24-06-2009, 12:50
Or just learn to live with the rough starts?

R5GTTRaider
24-06-2009, 13:16
i have lol

FurioKid
24-06-2009, 13:23
i have lol

so i ain't the only one not running one lol. Think i will as don't fancy forking out for efi

cheers for the inputs guys

Chris Hebden
24-06-2009, 13:29
It doesnt take much to get them working correctly though

R5GTTRaider
24-06-2009, 13:30
my 1st stage is blocked i think, and been told so but the great jrp, so thats kinda half my starting problem also

FurioKid
24-06-2009, 13:38
Think mines overfuelling, as after a long run, switch off and the exhaust pops, so the carb does need setting up which probably doesn't help

markey b
24-06-2009, 14:23
i dont have an anti perc, or a choke or even fast idle.... but it still starts ok from hot or cold

R5GTTRaider
24-06-2009, 16:20
Think mines overfuelling, as after a long run, switch off and the exhaust pops, so the carb does need setting up which probably doesn't help
no thats you not letting the turbo cool down, do you let the engine run at idle for 3-5 minutes, cos when i forget and ive had a hard run it does so, but good as it reminds me lol, only forget now now and again if im in hurry

R5GTTRaider
24-06-2009, 16:22
i dont have an anti perc, or a choke or even fast idle.... but it still starts ok from hot or cold
you proberly got a clean and working 1st stage and acc pump :agree:

Mart
24-06-2009, 17:38
A blocked 1st stage enrichment won't be the cause for bad starting prob's.

It's fairly normal/common to hear a 'pop' from the exhaust when switching off the engine after a long run.

R5GTTRaider
24-06-2009, 19:46
but isnt that pop due to the turbo beeing to hot and not let to cool down :scratch:
i only ever get it if i switch straight off, and never if i let it cool down which i do more often than not depending how far ive gone and if ive put my foot down

FurioKid
24-06-2009, 21:19
Thing is i don't really drive it hard cos i'm still bedding the engine in, but even so i do give it a couple of mins for everything to cool then switch off, but still does it everytime lol