PDA

View Full Version : clutch slipping, or wheel spin?

gttjames
21-06-2009, 22:11
Fitted my new clutch (valeo 'uprated' from gsf), less than 2k miles ago, and been running 12psi, and not been driving it hard. Got it running 17psi just before pod, and did a few runs and pretty sure all was fine, but today when i gave it some off a roundabout seemed like the revs just rose, or it span.

Doesnt slip or anything when pulling away through 1st and that, but then thought id give it a try and see what it did, in 5th at 70, planted it and turbo kicked it pulled nice, then at about 4,500rpm revs just went straight to 6k and didnt think it went any quicker so i let off straight away. Clutch cant be slipping surely? but surely it would have enough power to wheel spin like that in 5th?

dangerous dave
21-06-2009, 23:10
maybe it just shot, it happens.. could be oil or something on the clutch, might be knackered or maybe your flywheels not to hot either..

R5GTTRaider
21-06-2009, 23:11
if the revs shot to 6k at 70mph, defently sliping clutch, unless you got mind boggling bhp i dought your get it spinning in 5th gear

Gymnast
21-06-2009, 23:19
The way I test is to put it in 4th at 30mph and floor it.

As Dangerous Dave said, check for oil on the clutch, can be coming from the turbo oil return

Mr_Dave
22-06-2009, 21:18
Did you get it on the right way round.....?;)

Mine used to slip when I was giving it some right welly for 10 mins or so, but used to be fine on short bursts. Turned out that the crank shaft oil seal was leaking a tad contaminating the clutch.

Could also be the sump seal on that side of the block?

Make sure there's no oil getting thrown up around the TDC sensor or dripping off the engine to gearbox steady bar.

Did you check the state of the flywheel before you chucked the new one on? Was the old one contaminated...?

I used to get a mate to shove the clutch pedal with the engine running whilst I sprayed brake disc cleaner down the TDC sensor hole ;) Used to work for a bit...!!!!

gttjames
22-06-2009, 23:48
what do you look for on the flywheel?

clutch went on right way round, and pretty sure it shouldnt be contaminated as cleaned the area when fitting, also wasnt even that dirty.

Damn, looks like another clutch....

markey b
23-06-2009, 00:38
if its got oil contamination, a pikey quick fix is to pour coke down the tdc hole onto the clutch assembly

Sparkie
23-06-2009, 09:24
or spray a chit load of carburettor cleaner down there - soaking the whole area...

J$£5GTT
23-06-2009, 11:15
or sort out the oil leak an replace the clutch....again on sunday morning...

:D

R5GTTRaider
23-06-2009, 15:51
if its got oil contamination, a pikey quick fix is to pour coke down the tdc hole onto the clutch assembly
coke, you know how expensive that stuff is! lol

na brake cleaner may well work, id say have the car running, and spray it down there while someone releses and presses the clutch

boostjunky
24-06-2009, 20:46
coke, you know how expensive that stuff is! lol

na brake cleaner may well work, id say have the car running, and spray it down there while someone releses and presses the clutch

lolololololol.