PDA

View Full Version : Engine temperature

Tillax
21-06-2009, 17:05
Dudes,

I've just had the boost increased on my car to 12psi and it's running sweeeet. However, on a fast motorway run yesterday and under sustained boost I noticed that the engine temperature rose higher than it did previously. I figure that this is due to the heat generated by the turbo as it's now working harder. The temperature never reached the danger zone but got quite close to it. As soon as I eased off the boost the needle dropped to around half way and below.

I have fitted a low temp fan switch which is superb but my thermostat is currently standard.

Would a low temp thermostat help to keep the engine temperature down under these driving conditions?

Thanks

RICHIE
21-06-2009, 17:20
Dudes,

I've just had the boost increased on my car to 12psi and it's running sweeeet. However, on a fast motorway run yesterday and under sustained boost I noticed that the engine temperature rose higher than it did previously. I figure that this is due to the heat generated by the turbo as it's now working harder. The temperature never reached the danger zone but got quite close to it. As soon as I eased off the boost the needle dropped to around half way and below.

I have fitted a low temp fan switch which is superb but my thermostat is currently standard.

Would a low temp thermostat help to keep the engine temperature down under these driving conditions?

Thanks

the turbo wouldnt really have that much off an affect on the water temp. i would be looking at flushing the system out and checking for air locks first of all

jure
21-06-2009, 18:03
I would say that your AFR is now out of "good working" area and EGT is increased which leads to hotter engine and increased water temperature. But be careful since higher EGT can cause lot more problems than increased water temp.

Tillax
21-06-2009, 18:47
I would say that your AFR is now out of "good working" area and EGT is encreased which leads to hotter engine and increased water temperature. But be careful since higher EGT can cause lot more problems than increased water temp.

Thanks, I just wished I had a clue what you are on about! Afraid I have no idea what AFR and EGT refer to.

Bigfoot
21-06-2009, 18:48
Thanks, I just wished I had a clue what you are on about! Afraid I have no idea what AFR and EGT refer to.

AFR = Air to fuel ratio
EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature

Tillax
21-06-2009, 18:56
AFR = Air to fuel ratio
EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature

Thanks for the explanation Bigfoot.

In practical terms, what can I do to maintain the temperature at a lower level... other than drive slower!? :D

Tillax
21-06-2009, 19:16
More air? More fuel? Both?

RICHIE
21-06-2009, 19:20
i still say check the cooling system. is the rad clogged up are the fins clear. have you flushed the system check for air locks its the basics

Brigsy
21-06-2009, 19:22
Id flush the cooling system if you haven't already. Get a hosepipe & flush the rad through both ways & refill with proper coolant mix. I had to do mine at least once a year on my gtt, you will be suprised how much difference it makes.

Also have you got the plastic ducts fitted around the rad, they help cooling no end. As mentioned above id check the afr's too, always wise to do that with a boost increase.

Tillax
21-06-2009, 19:30
Thanks for your responses guys, I'll flush that cooling system asap. As for the afr how do I go about checking that... Or even getting someone to check it for me?

Brigsy
21-06-2009, 19:35
You need to borrow a wideband afr gauge or a power run on a half decent rolling road that can monitor afr.