PDA

View Full Version : Not a gd day!!!

FurioKid
20-06-2009, 20:27
Drove upto work this morning on the intention of doing a couple of little jobs but after speaking to a few people on here about my temperature problems i decided to do the headgasket so as to get it sorted.

well started off fairly simple by taking hose etc off and downpipe, then when i got the rocker cover off and unbolted the rocker i found it had snapped on one of the corners where it bolts down with the head :(, no idea why, couldn't see anything obvious so just put it down to being a weak join. Luckily i had a spare one so my mate ran it upto me :agree:

one i got the head off i decided to take the waterpump off to reseal it as it had been leaking a bit about a week ago, so thought i may aswell do it now while its easier. got it off, replaced the gasket and started bolting it back on and one the bolts pulled the threads out of the head, so i ended up having to drill and tetap the head to a larger size and it then tightened down :agree:

put all the head back on with the new gasket and bolted it down and plumbed everythign back in, bolted the rocker back on and readjusted the clearances, put the rocker cover on and rebled the cooling system. started it up and checked for leaks but couldn't find any, and the engine seemed to be ok :agree:......................

.........until i left work and headed home, got about 500 yds/1 mile from work when i noticed slowing down at junctions that the engine sounded like a back of nails from the top and also my oil pressure had dropped right down :eek:. got the car home and proceeded to remove the rocker cover thinking that the valve clearances may have needed redoing, but instead i found that one of the bolts and also one of the studs had come loose and pulled the threads out the head, luckily no damage appears to have happened to the rocker but somehow now i need to either put longer bolts through to bite on some threads or rethread/helicoil the holes?? :confused:

What a day :cry:, anyone else had anything similar??

Scoff
21-06-2009, 00:30
yeah, its pretty common to pull the rocker shaft threads out of the head. They are 7mm (M7) originally, you can tap to M8 and run a 8mm drill through the rocker pedistal so that you can use an 8mm bolt.

FurioKid
21-06-2009, 00:35
Think thats what i'll have to do, although one of the studs (that also holds the rocker cover down) has pulled out aswell so that one will need retapping aswell

FurioKid
21-06-2009, 20:56
Well today i've drilled and tapped out the head, put some new studs in and tightened down the rocker. Readjusted the valve clearances and tested the engine again.

my oil pressure has gone back up now, sits between 2 and 3 bar when driving steady. Only thing now is the engine temp is still getting high, sits between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark with the fan running constantly, and creeps up when the power is put down :-(

Markey Mark (BD)
21-06-2009, 21:10
Whats the rad like on the car mate?

FurioKid
21-06-2009, 21:46
Its an alloy rad, flushed it through before fitting. Only other thing i can think is how i have the intercooler setup on the front in front of the rad, but the air should go straight through?! Plus on idle its still high?!

FurioKid
21-06-2009, 23:46
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=921&highlight=thermostat

was just reading this article about the rad fan going the opposite way it can cause a problem, is this true? not sure which way mine turns i'll have to have a look tomorrow, but if its turning the wrong way (to the right) constantly could this be causing my problem possibly aswell??

how hot is the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge anyway?? :confused:

FurioKid
22-06-2009, 07:59
On my way to work this morning it stayed at a constant between the 2nd and 3rd mark (about halfway on the gauge) is that ok?

BriC
22-06-2009, 08:29
That's what mine have always been at. :)

Mr 5
23-06-2009, 21:02
bad luck with the head mate,i wish you luck!

temp wise,halfway is fine when idle'n or normal running,even 3/4 is ok.

fan should be sucking air in through the rad,not blowing into the rad if you get me?

mine runs about 1/2 in traffic,1/3 - 1/2 with normal driving, 1/2 max on 'exitable' driving

FurioKid
23-06-2009, 23:46
yeah i've checked my fan and it is turning to the left, so sucking the cold in to the rad

yeah seems to settle around the halfway mark, then goes upto the next mark during "excitable" driving :laugh:

i am gonna see about a low temp thermostat as i know that'll probably help aswell