PDA

View Full Version : One way oil valve going to turbo?

sonic-jdm
20-06-2009, 08:24
Sorry but the search button not being my friend today:(

currently rebuilding my engine and would just like to ask has anyone removed the one way oil valve(if its called that) witch comes from the front of the block where your oil pressure is on one end and goes to the turbo (top oil feed pipe)

ive currently taken it apart to clean and ive noticed you can set the nut (witch is inside) to set the pressure of when you want it to open. wind it in with a 6mm allan key to compress the spring so more pressure is required to open, or wind it out for less pressure to open.

sorry if i sound dumb but
my question is.....do i need it? could i by pass it? as to me it just looks like one more thing that could clogg up and starve the turbo of oil.

cheers for your time;)

TrixNFlix
20-06-2009, 08:57
I asked the same question as you as I could not keep the valve as I bought a turbo filter and it would not fit as well as the braided lines for filter. Was told the valve is for the turbo, as when engine is off pressure goes closing the valve trapping some oil above it in the turbo feed , so when you next start the car the the turbo has a bit of oil right from the off. Mine is going fine without it, can't see it being a problem for you especialy as yours won't be turned off and on loads as yours is just for track isn't it?

Nayls
20-06-2009, 09:31
i would leave it ON.

as mentioned above,when you turn the car off,all the oil will drain back to the sump,so when you turn the car on the next morning the turbo will be running with out oil for a period of time.

have you seen how long it takes to prime the system after an oil change?

sonic-jdm
20-06-2009, 09:43
Cheers for the info guys, il leave it on for now and reset the inside nut(wind it out) for less pressure to open the valve so oil gets to the turbo quicker aswel as having oil trapped in the pipe.

i guess when i do oil change and filter change ill add this to the list for cleaning, better to be safe then sorry.;)

thanks again

TrixNFlix
20-06-2009, 09:47
In an ideal world I would of kept it on, but the other thing that worried me was when I took it off the internal holes in the oneway were very small and very clogged up, to the point were I don't think the spring was even closing, resulting in no extra oil on startup and possible oil starvation once warmed up. I would be tempted at looking into buying a new valve that has larger internal holes.

Brigsy
20-06-2009, 12:05
Ive took mine off with no problems. Infact the oil pressure is a couple of psi higher at the turbo without it, which can only be a good thing on these engines.

When starting from cold the oil pressure takes no longer to build up according to my capillary gauge thats tee-d into the turbo oil feed. Priming the oil cct when doing an oil change is totally different as you need to fill the oil filter etc which takes time..

sonic-jdm
20-06-2009, 13:18
Maybe if i drill the holes out abit bigger that should help with oil pressure and oil feed:) more oil the better me thinks

TrixNFlix
20-06-2009, 23:46
I realy wouldn't want to be drilling bigger holes in the oneway valve as their wil be little bits of metal swarf heading towards your turbo no matter how well you clean it, I wouldn't want to risk it.