PDA

View Full Version : my phase 2 r5 gtt's top end is knocking

LukeRobbo
18-06-2009, 14:32
After giving me car a bit of a blast last night my top end has started to knock around the oil filler cap.My dad reckons it could be something thats came loose or it will be something we can easily replace but someone has said it might be the pushrod that has jumped from its cap from over revving?

Any help would be apreciated.Gonna have a look at it tonight:sad2:

IANMM
18-06-2009, 14:50
take the rocker cover off and have a looksy :)

markey b
18-06-2009, 14:53
i've bent pushrods from overrevving before, give away was a slight missfire/lumpy idle

3x 13mm nuts to take rocker cover off, then just visually check everything make sure it looks ok, nothing broken etc.

LukeRobbo
18-06-2009, 19:57
No signs with the rocker off.Gonna check the clearences etc so see where the problem is then take the head off i think:cry:

Bruce - BHPerformance
18-06-2009, 19:59
Just quickly start it up with the rocker cover off and see if the noise goes away.
My mate had a dent in his rocker cover from overtightening and the rockers were hitting the top.

LukeRobbo
18-06-2009, 20:03
We have never had the rocker off and it wasnt too tight.Still makes the noise with it off

LukeRobbo
18-06-2009, 22:42
The 4 rocker shaft bolts where loose letting oil go into the bottom of the head without passing through the rocker shaft.The rockers all move freely with no apparant damage.Pushrods are straight but it still rattles.

Will be a ******* taking the head off and probably cost me a bit in gasket sets when i put it back together:cry:

LukeRobbo
18-06-2009, 23:47
Further to the rocker shaft problem the haynes manual isnt quite rite.It shows the rocker shaft supported on 4 pillows however mine has an extra journal on either end.These journals are fixed via the out cylinder headbolts and obviosly we dont want to remove them.Can i still get the rocker shaft out without touching the outer journal bolts?

Thanks,Luke

LukeRobbo
19-06-2009, 08:12
Anyone please?

IANMM
19-06-2009, 09:36
photo??

Bruce - BHPerformance
19-06-2009, 09:43
As long as the engine is stone cold then removing the outer head bolts to remove the rocker shaft is fine. Gasket set is about £25 if you do take the head off.

LukeRobbo
19-06-2009, 20:03
Just dti'd the rocker shaft and we have a tir(total indicater reading) of .03mm.Guess this is pretty straight enough?

LukeRobbo
20-06-2009, 02:01
Not sure what the problem is im beyond pissed off.Gonna put it back together tomorow and see if its the water pump making the noise!

LukeRobbo
20-06-2009, 13:38
My r5 is off the road as of monday.Im absoloutely gutted.Another r5 sitting not being used.Think its the bottom end thats went now.

IANMM
20-06-2009, 17:14
dont give up mate....

have you checked the followers?

is there any play in the bottom end?

take the sump of and check the shells on the crank see what condition there in

jay28
20-06-2009, 19:04
Simple engine mate. Will be your big end shells that have let go by the sounds of it. Take the head off, take the sump off, pull the pistons and liners out complete to see whats what. Shells are only about 30 quid as long as the crank hasnt picked up or done any damage to it. If all appears ok then stick new shells in, maybe piston rings while theyre out, liner seals and head set is only about 40 quid, uprated head bolts too. Well worth the money mate, dont despair! Is there no other member local to you who could help you? I would do but ur about 2 million miles from me in leicester!!