17-06-2009, 01:53
i hate a slow computer, but dam if you had this id be happy

http://www.uptimesciences.com-a.googlepages.com/dc.bmp/dc-full.jpg

and on virgin medias fibre optic broadband

oh complete films downloaded in 2 seconds flat

50mbs!! i get 33.33333333333 times faster than my connection

i get 1.5mbs

any one on 50mb here?

bet online gaming and web browsing is mad!

D4WNO
17-06-2009, 08:42
We don't all have a spare DataCentre handy lol

My company owns 1.5 millions worth of servers, the majority are held in Bristol @ Toltec. It's a pretty awesome building to be fair, it has a dry moat around it along with a plane-crash proof roof lol :laugh:

BriC
17-06-2009, 09:09
i get 33.33333333333 times faster than my connection

Please explain how that works..

Tiny Tim
17-06-2009, 10:17
We don't all have a spare DataCentre handy lol

My company owns 1.5 millions worth of servers, the majority are held in Bristol @ Toltec. It's a pretty awesome building to be fair, it has a dry moat around it along with a plane-crash proof roof lol :laugh:

Pfftt. That's lame. You should visit the 'secret' Nationwide server building in Swindon. That's impressive. Just unfortunate the goons that work there are very pale and have never seen sunlight.

Gymnast
17-06-2009, 10:34
Please explain how that works..

A lot of people confuse (mega)bytes and (mega)bits. Megabits is what your connection speed is measured in (and advertised by your ISP) and megabytes/sec are the amount of bytes you can download/sec (and this is what you see on your download progress bar).

There are 8 bits in a byte, but it works out you will be able to download at roughly one tenth of your connection speed.

Therefore, I get around a 12/13 Megabit connection at home and can download at around 1.2 megabytes/sec.

With a 50 Megabit connection you should be able to download at around 5 megabytes/sec but I'm afraid Virgin are one of the biggest offenders when it comes to "throttling" or "capping" your download speeds.

Hope that all made sense :)

Gymnast
17-06-2009, 10:44
Oh, also a great site to test your connection speed is www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) :)

Bigfoot
17-06-2009, 10:47
Oh, also a great site to test your connection speed is www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) :)

Always use that one :)

16.75mb/s download and 2.48mb/s upload.

Poor lines here though, only way we could get that speed is bond 4 lines together.

Gymnast
17-06-2009, 11:00
Poor lines here though, only way we could get that speed is bond 4 lines together.

Could you not get a fibre connection? This is our gateway server :-)

It's not obscene, but still cool. My bro's company has a gigabit connection and I've a screenshot of a 100MB/s download speed :cool:

Bigfoot
17-06-2009, 11:07
That connection is not needed anymore really. we used to have a 2mb synchronous connection as we needed the upload connection. However we have moved the servers to a datacentre in north London. Haven't really tested the connection there for what we get but its not choking. Would be nice having that sort of connection though :)

UNICRONICUS
17-06-2009, 11:56
F me! You guys are lucky to get uber quick broadband, the most I can get on my line is around 600KB/s download MAX! Which I thought was 5hit hot for over here. We can only get up to 8Mb broadband anyway, and I doubt this will ever improve unless BT lays a fibre optic line across the 28 miles of water between us and the mainland... :cry:

Scoff
17-06-2009, 11:58
I tried one of those speed tests from the RTOC server, it was pretty rapid.

Matt Cole
17-06-2009, 12:15
F me! You guys are lucky to get uber quick broadband, the most I can get on my line is around 600KB/s download MAX! Which I thought was 5hit hot for over here. We can only get up to 8Mb broadband anyway, and I doubt this will ever improve unless BT lays a fibre optic line across the 28 miles of water between us and the mainland... :cry:

Your not alone mate. BT are a stain on the tapestry of mankind and should be shut down or privatised! Worst company to deal with ever, and are holding technology back by still laying crap cables!:mad:

Bigfoot
17-06-2009, 12:22
Our connection at home is 0.7mb so all those which are complaining, come try using this connection. They said they had found a fault with the line and they done some changes and then we were running at about dialup speed during that time. They are absolutely useless when trying to solve problems, they cause more than they solve. Even when you tell them whats wrong they still do loads of different things to come to the same thing as what I said was wrong in the first place :mad:

Andrew Cooke
17-06-2009, 13:19
is 38 teraflops any good?

UNICRONICUS
17-06-2009, 13:44
I hate having to phone up ISP's to report problems, the things they suggest never work and in the end most of them just tip toe around the problem and don't actually do anything about it! We're with a company called the Phone Coop at work and they are absolute rubbish! Slow speeds at most times, traffic shaping in the afternoon, cap you to buggery if you download even the slightest amount of data etc... Just a pile of:jerkoff:

I'm with Sky at home, but it's the BT Wholsale service not their advertised connection on TV/Internet, it's not bad to be honest, a lot better than I expected anyway. Still, the lines need upgrading and the exchange needs bringing up to the future as well if we are to see any improvements.

Gymnast
17-06-2009, 13:46
is 38 teraflops any good?

I've never impressed a girl with it :(

Gymnast
17-06-2009, 13:48
I'm with Be (www.bethere.co.uk (http://www.bethere.co.uk)) and they are pretty good. They are now owned by O2 who have been voted no.1 ISP on numerous occasions and by many different magazines.

I have 24Mb broadband, but as I'm so far from the exchange I get around 12/13Mb at best

R5GTTRaider
17-06-2009, 13:49
38 teraflops, isnt that to do with gpus and cpus something about floating operations can remember exactly
its the data it can process and response time :scratch:

Gymnast
17-06-2009, 13:52
38 teraflops, isnt that to do with gpus and cpus something about floating operations can remember exactly
its the data it can process and response time :scratch:

FLOPS = Floating points operations/second

TERAFLOPS = Severe impotence ;)

R5GTTRaider
17-06-2009, 14:02
thats it!

UNICRONICUS
17-06-2009, 17:00
I'm with Be (www.bethere.co.uk (http://www.bethere.co.uk)) and they are pretty good. They are now owned by O2 who have been voted no.1 ISP on numerous occasions and by many different magazines.

I have 24Mb broadband, but as I'm so far from the exchange I get around 12/13Mb at best

I wanted to go with Be but they didn't supply it in my area :(

Other good one's are Andrews and Arnold (expensive), Utility Warehouse, Zen etc...