PDA

View Full Version : Random deposits into my bank account

The new Bill J
15-06-2009, 20:25
Two weeks ago I was looking at my bank statement and noticed "someone" had paid £10 into my account from Romford Market, somewhere I've never been in my life. I just thought I'd had a stroke of luck and ignored it (actually, that's a lie, I stuck it on a horse at the Derby :D)

Anyway, I've just noticed that last week another £10 was paid into my account, this time in Morden. A bit closer to home, but somewhere I haven't been for years!

Right, now have I been lucky again, or is this some sort of backwards scam that I don't know about?

Has anyone heard of/experienced this before? I don't fancy checking my account one day and finding out it's been emptied. Especially as I'm saving for a new car ;)

Big Steve - Raider
15-06-2009, 20:26
I'm saving for a new car ;)

It had better be a friggin five so you can take some of those brand new bit's you've got squirrled under your bed out & put onto a car! :laugh:

The new Bill J
15-06-2009, 20:28
It had better be a friggin five so you can take some of those brand new bit's you've got squirrled under your bed out & put onto a car! :laugh:

Erm, nope :scared: :sad:

ROB C2GTT
15-06-2009, 20:42
hmmm seems abit dodgy to me. I think i would be moving my money to another account and just leave the 20 quid thats been paid in in it? then keep an eye on it to see what else goes in?

Penfold aka The Dealer
15-06-2009, 21:02
I would call your bank, get them to look into it, you may loose the £20 but hey ho its nothing in the long run really...

UNICRONICUS
15-06-2009, 21:33
So have these deposits been made at a high street branch or is it direct debit or something?

The new Bill J
15-06-2009, 21:37
It reads; "cash paid in at Morden - £10.00"

UNICRONICUS
15-06-2009, 21:57
Strange. Is it possible to accidentally get the bank account number wrong, perhaps he/she has got a digit wrong and it just so happens to be your account?

The new Bill J
15-06-2009, 22:03
Strange. Is it possible to accidentally get the bank account number wrong, perhaps he/she has got a digit wrong and it just so happens to be your account?

That's what I thought after the first time. But when it happened again, about 60 odd miles away from the first place, I thought it was/is a bit fishy :scratch:

UNICRONICUS
15-06-2009, 22:31
Yeah I can't explain that, unless the person was on a jolly and just needed to pay this £10 into the bank there and then :confused:. Plus, when you pay money into an account you need to write the name of the account holder in one of the fields, so surely the bank would have noticed this error if his/her name didn't marry up to the account number. But anyway, I would get in contact with your bank and see what they say about it.

Hubbell
15-06-2009, 22:36
Empty your account and leave the country. ;)

car.crash
15-06-2009, 23:23
Empty your account and leave the country. ;)

over £20 :laugh: feck, the recession must be hitting you hard!

Gttnutter
16-06-2009, 00:08
Yeah i'd check with the bank, tell em the fecker missed a few naughts on the end :agree:

But on a serious note go and check it out asap...the last thing anyone would want is to be scammed some way or another

5teve L
16-06-2009, 08:37
For £20 I'd be onto the bank to make sure nothing was going to end up coming out, as has been said it's a bit odd unless they have a digit wrong somewhere ...

Junglist
16-06-2009, 09:37
it was me you owe me £20

Tiny Tim
16-06-2009, 10:57
Cant remember the exact details, but after 30 odd days, it's legally yours.

Go treat yourself Billy. Nice haircut perhaps.

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 11:26
Good idea Timmy Turnip!

Well I went into the bank when I got home from work about an hour ago, and the manager said that there's nothing they can do. You don't need a name to pay cash into an account, just numbers. When I said that I didn't want to find my account emptied one day, she said that nothing can be taken out. The only way it can be claimed back is if someone reports to the bank that they've been paying money into their account and it hasn't shown up, and it turns out that the bank has made a mistake when typing in the account number. If that happens then the bank will write to me.

:scared:

Tiny Tim
16-06-2009, 11:30
Thanks Billy Beetroot.

I reckon some spleen's just got the account number wrong.

Andrew Cooke
16-06-2009, 13:19
Good idea Timmy Turnip!

Well I went into the bank when I got home from work about an hour ago, and the manager said that there's nothing they can do. You don't need a name to pay cash into an account, just numbers. When I said that I didn't want to find my account emptied one day, she said that nothing can be taken out. The only way it can be claimed back is if someone reports to the bank that they've been paying money into their account and it hasn't shown up, and it turns out that the bank has made a mistake when typing in the account number. If that happens then the bank will write to me.

:scared:

did you get that in writing?

markey b
16-06-2009, 14:12
whatever you do dont spend it!!! its prob a scam, they'll report it as theft it you spend it and claim damages or something stupid

UNICRONICUS
16-06-2009, 15:30
How can you not spend it? It just gets added to the rest of your funds, it's not as if each £10 note is ear marked as 'property of Joe Bloggs' now is it ;)

R5GTTRaider
16-06-2009, 16:16
theres a credit card scam going about

basicly they check your card can accept money,

then what they do is put 2-3 maybe more realy big credit card deposits to your account and then withdraw the lot.this is done becasue the only way of getting the credit card money at once say the owner has a 5k limit, or say a 8k limit depending they wipe the hole account over the internet to someones account then wip that account,dont ask me how or why but ive heard it happens

if i was you id cancel your card and wait for a new one

Tiny Tim
16-06-2009, 16:18
There's not alot they can do without any passwords/fake ID etc.

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 16:26
It's got nothing to do with my credit card, it's cash payments into my bank account!

Andy; no, not in writing, hence the :scared:. She didn't seem the slightest bit concerned. But there again she wouldn't, it's not her money!

Ricardo
16-06-2009, 16:35
Pocket money from your real dad, he's just found out and wants to make amends :D :ashamed:

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 16:38
Pocket money from your real dad, he's just found out and wants to make amends :D :ashamed:

He aint much of a dad. If he was, he'd stick a few more 0's on the end :D

Ricardo
16-06-2009, 16:43

That would help the T2 fund, chop chop 'pops' :D

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 16:46
That would help the T2 fund, chop chop 'pops' :D

Blimey mush, you can tell we haven't had a natter for a while. The T2 idea has been out of my head for a long time :ashamed:

Ricardo
16-06-2009, 16:48
Blimey mush, you can tell we haven't had a natter for a while. The T2 idea has been out of my head for a long time :ashamed:

I know, it's been a long time, £10 a week, that's a free curry every month ;) :cool:

Andrew Cooke
16-06-2009, 17:32

back when you were born that would have bought a nice house:laugh:

R5GTTRaider
16-06-2009, 17:48
It's got nothing to do with my credit card, it's cash payments into my bank account!

Andy; no, not in writing, hence the :scared:. She didn't seem the slightest bit concerned. But there again she wouldn't, it's not her money!
i didnt say it was something to do with YOUR credit card

read it again

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 18:18
i didnt say it was something to do with YOUR credit card

read it again

Sorry

basicly they check your card can accept money,

if i was you id cancel your card and wait for a new one

So which card are you referring to, and which one should I cancel?

Nayls
16-06-2009, 18:38
i think he's presuming you have a debit card attached to the account???

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 18:47
i think he's presuming you have a debit card attached to the account???

So how are they checking that my debit card can accept money, by paying cash directly into my bank account? :confused:

Nayls
16-06-2009, 18:58
So how are they checking that my debit card can accept money, by paying cash directly into my bank account? :confused:

by depositing money in to your account through it,do you have a debit card with the account?

* im just guessing/trying to help by the way,not heard of this scam mentioned above myself.

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 19:04
by depositing money in to your account through it,do you have a debit card with the account?

* im just guessing/trying to help by the way,not heard of this scam mentioned above myself.

But they're not using my card to pay the money in. Someone's going into the bank, and paying cash straight into my account using the account number. Even if they had a cloned card, handing it to the cashier to pay money in won't verify if the card's any good, as all the cashier will do is read the account number off it, and punch it into their system to access the account.

I know you're just trying to help, as is everyone. It's all good :cool:

Nayls
16-06-2009, 19:14
Being the super hero "google bill" you should have read this already! ;)

but incase you have'nt,i just found this whilst having a quick search.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/05/scammers_randomly_target_check.html

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 19:30
Pah, Google Bill went into retirement a long time ago, you should know that ;)

Cheers for the link though :agree:

I've just remembered, my mum's sister is a manager for Barcleys. I might give her a bell and see what she says.

Maka
16-06-2009, 19:39
bit of money laundering going on!

are you acting as a legit front for some hardcore teenage friday night exctasy dealer!!

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 20:09
Update time, if anyone gives a toss! :laugh:

I just spoke to my Auntie, and she said the odds are very good that it's a scam. It's pretty common, and this is how it works:

Someone will find my name and address, then go into a bank and say that they want to pay some money into my account. They don't have the account number to hand but they have my name and address. So the cashier will look that up, and if they find an account, they'll pay the money in. Of course, they will get a receipt, which just happens to have the account number on it. Voila, part one complete!

They'll then pay some small amounts into the account, and log the dates/amounts/locations. Then they'll make their move. One day they'll go into a branch to withdraw some cash. The cashier will ask if they've got any ID on them, to which they'll say that they haven't, but they can tell them that they paid x amount into the account here/here/here and here, and bingo, the cashier will let them have what they want! :eek:

She told me that she knows the manager of my local branch of Abbey National, and she's a bit of a d1cksplat, and that I need to go in there and tell her how to do her job, and what to do :devil:

Meanwhile she's going to open an account for me with her bank, so I can shift all my money :scared:

Big Steve - Raider
16-06-2009, 20:13
Thanks Auntie! ;)

Delighted you've managed to get a handle on this before they scammed you!!

Make sure you use that £20 to get your Sovrin Rings polished up ready for summer! :laugh:

Andrew Cooke
16-06-2009, 20:15
cool, so it sounds like it's

Bill £20
scammers £0

nice....

Andrew Cooke
16-06-2009, 20:17
of course, they do have your address so may pop around to ask for it back :laugh:

The new Bill J
16-06-2009, 20:20
of course, they do have your address so may pop around to ask for it back :laugh:

:laugh:

Steve, the bling will be nicely polished up for sure. I'm now trying to remember where the hell I found that picture :laugh:

R5GTTRaider
17-06-2009, 01:39
Update time, if anyone gives a toss! :laugh:

I just spoke to my Auntie, and she said the odds are very good that it's a scam. It's pretty common, and this is how it works:

Someone will find my name and address, then go into a bank and say that they want to pay some money into my account. They don't have the account number to hand but they have my name and address. So the cashier will look that up, and if they find an account, they'll pay the money in. Of course, they will get a receipt, which just happens to have the account number on it. Voila, part one complete!

They'll then pay some small amounts into the account, and log the dates/amounts/locations. Then they'll make their move. One day they'll go into a branch to withdraw some cash. The cashier will ask if they've got any ID on them, to which they'll say that they haven't, but they can tell them that they paid x amount into the account here/here/here and here, and bingo, the cashier will let them have what they want! :eek:

She told me that she knows the manager of my local branch of Abbey National, and she's a bit of a d1cksplat, and that I need to go in there and tell her how to do her job, and what to do :devil:

Meanwhile she's going to open an account for me with her bank, so I can shift all my money :scared:
is the same but they use a stolen credit card to deposit this money
thus getting away with it
they deposit it one week
id wait for the big drop and clear it before they have a chance i say lol
then go to the bank like you say and clear your savings and the poor sods credit card limit too
and it is usserly untracable as the paper trail leads to you
and not them
but of course they would have to choose a bank with **** camreas or ones that dont have any.
were i live hsbc has one camrea as you come in
cap on head down. your face aint seen!

hope you get your funds swapped before it happens mate

what do you genrealy do with bills, bank statments etc

R5GTTRaider
17-06-2009, 01:42
cool, so it sounds like it's

Bill £20
scammers £0

nice....
dnont know what billy has in hes bank but would be funny to see the guys face when he turns up at the bank to find the account closed, i guess thats when they could say hold on this accounts closed and ring the silent alarm to have him nicked

Trevhib
17-06-2009, 16:45
id wait for the big drop and clear it before they have a chance i say lol

There won't necessarily be a big drop.

Bill, good one on getting to the bottom of this mate and for sharing the details :agree: I don't like the sound of it at all.

R5GTTRaider
17-06-2009, 16:58
thing is it happens and unfortunatly one of us guys, tho you may think its a arse swapping accounts but apart from diffrent numbers all else should be the same, ie d/d sanding orders, and think at least you saw it before it was to late, you could have gone to pay for something only to find you have £0

clee
17-06-2009, 17:01
you could have gone to pay for something only to find you have £0

I do that all the time .....

R5GTTRaider
17-06-2009, 17:05
money in, money out, i dont trust banks no money gets kept in banks for a long period of time, when i get paid it get withdrawn and its in my wallet, its usserly gone by monday tho!

banks are the only way i can get paid so have to use it, other wise id prefer cash in hand

ScottGT
17-06-2009, 17:16
My missus works in Nationwide and they have a policy where ONLY the account holder can make any withdrawels and even then they need to provide 2 forms of i.d.

just thought id mention it

BriC
17-06-2009, 17:38
money in, money out, i dont trust banks no money gets kept in banks for a long period of time, when i get paid it get withdrawn and its in my wallet, its usserly gone by monday tho!

banks are the only way i can get paid so have to use it, other wise id prefer cash in hand

You don't trust banks.. Right..

You do realise, that if his money was nicked, the bank would refund his account with the money, and then attempt to get to the bottom of who stole it.

When money is taken fraudulently, the bank always refunds it.

It's far safer / financially wiser to have money in a bank.

R5GTTRaider
17-06-2009, 17:45
You don't trust banks.. Right..

You do realise, that if his money was nicked, the bank would refund his account with the money, and then attempt to get to the bottom of who stole it.

When money is taken fraudulently, the bank always refunds it.

It's far safer / financially wiser to have money in a bank.
well thats up to you, but money dosnt last in my wallet dur to food shopping and bills, he wouldnt get it right away tho, and waiting for a avarage bank balance of 2k, my dad had some one make a 0.1p charge, then topped up a phone, been waiting 3 months, yes only £10 but still 3 months imagine having to wait 3 months plus for 2k!