PDA

View Full Version : vin plates

bye_all_c_ya
15-06-2009, 18:49
when i have the shell sprayed the vin plate got taken off and yes ive lost it where can i get another made ?

TNT Tricky Nicky
15-06-2009, 19:00
You have to get a form from a Renault dealer, fill it in explaining why you need a new one then take the form and car to a police station to be checked over to make sure it's not stolen or ringer, once they're happy they fill in their part of the form, then it's back off to Renault who will want £85 and complete form for exchange of a couple of weeks wait and then you'll get a shiny new vin plate

bye_all_c_ya
15-06-2009, 21:49
what happens if i find it and change the vin details on the v5 as its still got my old shell details on the v5
what happens then?

TNT Tricky Nicky
16-06-2009, 20:46
I don't really understand what you're sayin but if you find the old one it'll be best to destroy it as you don't want it falling into the wrong hand. The details never change on a replacement as your Chassis number doesn't change unless you've reshelled it but then you'd change the v5.

bye_all_c_ya
16-06-2009, 21:38
i never got the v5 for the replacement shell and want to keep my old reg ect just change the chassis number on the v5

R5GTTRaider
17-06-2009, 01:07
sounds like a dodgy deal going on here?

you want a vin plate made up and aint got a v5....

be sure not to be heading your way to buy a car lol

maybe totaly innocent just red it that way!

the chassis number stays same, its the shells id and is stamped with one mainly to number them but now so police/dvla have a record

using vin plates and number plates from a diffent car is called ringing a car, prisionable offence think 3 yrs min

Penfold aka The Dealer
17-06-2009, 07:41
You can buy VIN plates of ebay for £2, and get it stamped yourself...

Using details from another car is highly illegal, I wouldnt recomment it.

Also the Chassis nmber would need changing... you can simply chase the DVLA for a new log book for the new shell.

BriC
17-06-2009, 09:13
The V5 is for the shell. You can't just change the shell, and keep your old V5, etc. If you could, that would make ringing cars SO easy.

bye_all_c_ya
17-06-2009, 18:25
i brought the shell from a member in wem but never got the v5 sent to me
so now the car is as good as finished i didnt now if i could just change the chassis number on my v5 or needed to sort a new v5

r5gtraider lol i wouldnt sell it anyway but its all legal just making sure it stays that way before i do anythink which i shouldnt

ps ive found vin plate for the new shell :)

Penfold aka The Dealer
17-06-2009, 19:15
Just get onto the DVLA & request a V5 for the chassis number on the good car...

They will send it to you (may charge you £25 & will check with the previous owner etc), Did u ever get the V5 receipt from the previous owner?

bye_all_c_ya
17-06-2009, 19:53
no but ive just phoned dvla and ive got to use the reg of the shell:(

i wanted to keep my reg from before as i have loads of history for it

TNT Tricky Nicky
17-06-2009, 20:08
you can transfer the reg across same as a pesonal plate although the same rules apply with regards to age, it's worth looking in to if you really want to use that reg no and finding out from dvla what's involved as i think that both cars have to have a mot

Brigsy
17-06-2009, 20:24
The vin number should be stamped on the o/s strut top, unless its been ground off:confused:

Just apply for a new logbook on the current shell/reg number.

bye_all_c_ya
17-06-2009, 20:29
what members used to live in wem telford?

Penfold aka The Dealer
17-06-2009, 20:34
The vin number should be stamped on the o/s strut top, unless its been ground off:confused:

Just apply for a new logbook on the current shell/reg number.

I personally am moving my chassis number, along with the vin plate....

The devil strut covers abit of the chassis number & the vin plate so its being moved to make things easier when it comes to MOT time... :)

Brigsy
17-06-2009, 20:51
Devil brace shouldn't cover the vin number, On my gtt it doesnt as the vin number is parallel with the wing edge & brace only goes half way :confused:

Id be careful messing about with anything like that, Only takes a copper to start poking at it & off goes the car on a lorry, seen it happen before. Highly unlikely to happen i know, but never say never.

Penfold aka The Dealer
18-06-2009, 08:40
Devil brace shouldn't cover the vin number, On my gtt it doesnt as the vin number is parallel with the wing edge & brace only goes half way :confused:

Id be careful messing about with anything like that, Only takes a copper to start poking at it & off goes the car on a lorry, seen it happen before. Highly unlikely to happen i know, but never say never.

Its not the brace that covers the sticker on the vin number, its just psi stickers etc...

I will take pics of before & after for the coppers, its perfectly legal, if they want to inspect my car if/when it becomes road legal they can but at there own cost!