PDA

View Full Version : Ktr 180

Mat E
15-06-2009, 18:46
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Probably been asked before but i need a new turbo and im thinking of buying a ktr 180 does anyone know if they are any good or not, or is there a better turbo out there for the same money?. Its a standard engine and im looking to run about 16 to 18 psi. Any feed back would be much appreciated.

Rob1980
15-06-2009, 19:07

Probably been asked before but i need a new turbo and im thinking of buying a ktr 180 does anyone know if they are any good or not, or is there a better turbo out there for the same money?. Its a standard engine and im looking to run about 16 to 18 psi. Any feed back would be much appreciated.

16 - 18psi will be pushing the limit on that turbo so it probably wont last long. You will probably be better off getting a T25. Very good for every day use and around the same price I think.

Kenobi
15-06-2009, 19:34

Ive had one of these. Good turbo just not up2 massive amounts of boost.

Mat E
15-06-2009, 19:51

16 - 18psi will be pushing the limit on that turbo so it probably wont last long. You will probably be better off getting a T25. Very good for every day use and around the same price I think.

Cheers guys so i guess T25 it is.

Rob1980
15-06-2009, 23:00

Cheers guys so i guess T25 it is.

A guy called Adam L on here is the man to go for a good turbo mate. Drop him a pm.

UNICRONICUS
15-06-2009, 23:09
The turbo you choose all depends on the type of driving that you plan on doing. The KTR180 is basically a Std T2 but with a T25 compressor ( I think that's right) so it will be good for acceleration and will give you more than enough fun when driving on twisty country roads. If you're after more top end with a bit more boost then go for a bigger turbo, but this then introduces more lag at low end revs. Personal preference at the end of the day.

Rob1980
16-06-2009, 13:20
The turbo you choose all depends on the type of driving that you plan on doing. The KTR180 is basically a Std T2 but with a T25 compressor ( I think that's right) so it will be good for acceleration and will give you more than enough fun when driving on twisty country roads. If you're after more top end with a bit more boost then go for a bigger turbo, but this then introduces more lag at low end revs. Personal preference at the end of the day.

He has said 16-18psi so the KTR180 is not really ideal is it. :agree:

Gymnast
16-06-2009, 13:45

Why not?

Gymnast
16-06-2009, 13:49
Mat E - have a read of this http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=6412 :)

Brigsy
16-06-2009, 14:16
Iirc the ktr180 i had was basically a std turbo with bigger compressor wheel. You won't see hardly any gains over std, if your wanting to run 16-18lb go for a bigger unit.

UNICRONICUS
16-06-2009, 15:20

I had a similar turbo on my old GTT and I used to run 20psi day in day out on it without any problems. I changed my IC to a full alloy job but even with a standard IC strapped and flowed would have worked out ok, maybe not at 20psi but 18 psi max would be fine. But again, it's what he wants to do with the car that matters at the end of the day isn't it.

Gymnast
16-06-2009, 15:26
Iirc the ktr180 i had was basically a std turbo with bigger compressor wheel. You won't see hardly any gains over std, if your wanting to run 16-18lb go for a bigger unit.

To quote Adam L "Those KTR180 turdbo's are only a T2, they use the larger trim Land Rover T2 compressor wheel."

Many people on here have run upto 18psi on a Std T2 ... I run 18psi day in, day out on a KTR180 spec turbo (well, I do when it's not in the shop having sills and jacking points welded :ashamed: :cry:)

Brigsy
16-06-2009, 15:28
Im not saying you can't run 18lb(im talking manifold pressure here), whether its efficient at that level of boost is another matter;)

UNICRONICUS
16-06-2009, 15:33
True, but didn't someone run some tests a while back with the standard setup at various boost pressures seeing what temps it produced, which proved to be fairly low?

Gymnast
16-06-2009, 15:36
Fair point, personally I haven't had any issues, but put the same turbo on another car and who knows what will happen.

Mat E - My advice would be try different boost levels with std T2 and see how you go. The smaller the turbo the less lag you will have, if it's a nippy road car you're after this is what you want IMO. If you're not happy with boost levels, power, etc. then look at changing things up :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
16-06-2009, 19:09

:agree:..totally , i have one on my track car , admitedly i run standard boost but its a crackin little turbo and is great for just shifting around all day, just look @ the you tube video on the french car show thread in events..:). adam l will know for sure though buddy , give him a pm anyhows...:)