PDA

View Full Version : What recovery company ? ?

Leigh
15-06-2009, 15:39
Who do you use for recovery ? Only need for my Renault as other car is covered already from dealer and they wont add another car to the policy. Just tried Greenflag for a quote and they say they wont cover cars over 11 years old :( need basic recovery and European for the odd Ring trip. Cant be asked filling out another quote just for the rejection :cry:

phase i 16 v turbo
15-06-2009, 16:12
AA £69 no questions asked for road side and recovery but no home start.

clee
15-06-2009, 16:17
Euro cover is normally the big sticking point .Car has to be under ten ? years old .I've always taken out an extra 30 day etc policy to cover any foreign trips .Got my UK cover from AA ,comes with my Lloyds account .

Gymnast
15-06-2009, 16:23
RAC - £57 (but I actually have a couple of years "no call out" discount) for roadside and relay - again no home start as if it's at home I like to think I can fix it :)

I decided not to go with AA a few years back when I was on way back from Rockingham with Eugein and 48 when Eug's head cracked (won't explain how ;)) and was leaking water. We told the AA they had to send out a flatbed as they wouldn't get it on an A-frame ... so, 2 hours later a van with an A-frame turns up. The bloke said "nah, I won't get it on that mate" :mad: :mad:

Anyway, another 2 hours later we're still waiting for the AA, we managed to get Rach H to come and tow us back with a tow bar.

Whenver I have used the RAC they've been v. helpful and listen to what you tell them ... when I asked for a flatbed I got one :D

clee
15-06-2009, 16:30
Yeh that's true ...last two times I've called them I've told them what was wrong and they'd need a flatbed but a std van turns up .To be fair they won't always have a flatbed in the area but will have a 'normal' van nearby .
It's a service for the general public primarily not we bloody know it alls :agree:

minty83
15-06-2009, 16:35

Gymnast
15-06-2009, 16:37
Perhaps the reason the RAC can do what you want is they outsource jobs if needs be, I've been picked up by an OnTime flatbed before and I'm sure by another company.

I'm not sure how the AA work but perhaps they don't do this :confused:

minty83
15-06-2009, 16:38
im with the aa and cant really say a bad word about them,been recovered twice in the uk when my engine mounts snapped and never waited more than 40 mins, even when i broke down over at the ring in october last year they had some1 on the way to recover, did say it would take upto 2 hrs but that understandable.. but luckily we fixed the car before they got there;).
so AA has the :agree:'s from me.

Leigh
15-06-2009, 16:54
So the way forward is standard AA recovery and then just take out the european cover for when i need it ? :)

phase i 16 v turbo
15-06-2009, 16:58
With the AA they have never said anything about the amount of times I have called them out for several different cars. The price has not increased so I am happy to leave my £69 dd. I called them out 3 times in one week when I first built my cossy powered 105e, also called them when I have been in other peoples' cars. I have heard of companies charging extra for the number of time you call them out.

clee
15-06-2009, 17:06
Check the small print on Euro cover .There is normally a surcharge for older vehicles and some do exclude over a certain age .
A few mates have argued the case to get covered on a std policy but it's one thing to get it agreed by 'Bob on the blower UK ' and quite another to argue the case halfway through the Mont Blanc tunnel :laugh:

Junglist
15-06-2009, 18:50
ive got cover with AVD in europe and uk , 80 sqiud ( i think) a year for me and the mrs in any car.

got AA also with lloyds bank

Quick example for you;
My clutch cable snaped on my 5 called the AA and they towed me to a garage !!
my mates 5 clutch cable snapped he`s with RAC they fitted him a universal cable at the side of the road ..:scratch:

newbstar*
15-06-2009, 19:18
Well i work as aa patrol. The amount of vehicles i've been out to that i have fixed,when the customer states (i need a flatbed).Usually to the customer within 40mins.The temporary clutch kits are a bit hit and miss, ok on little cars with weak pressure plates,but on something like a 5 the end would slip from the cable not too long after fitting.Also depends who you get as your patrol rac or aa doesnt matter ,as everybody will make different choices in how they repair_ ie give service.