PDA

View Full Version : i tell you if i dont sort this im goin jap.....

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2008, 19:36
Right those of you may know the saga, ole jesus has a car..track one, he had the gasket go, thats no longer a problem, if ya know the history, we changed, checked everythin, the last thing was the valve clearances and the c/o mixture, it was running like a dream...then out of the blue the same problem arises...the revs dropped and it struggles for fuel...now i have not changed a thing since or touched and it does this.....:mad:, im thinkin the jets are picking up some ****e:cry:or maybe its something else.....man if i dont sort it out , ill go grazy , sell all my 5`s an my warehouse of parts and go jap....please help a struggling reno fanatic...:cry::sad:

Tiny Tim
18-09-2008, 19:40
Had/Have you been messing with the jets at any point? A bit of the old drilly drilly maybe?

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2008, 19:44
Had/Have you been messing with the jets at any point? A bit of the old drilly drilly maybe?

Nah tim , i aint touched it since it was set up , they have not been messed with, thing is , my fiend...mechanic and a good one , set the valve clearances, drove it to a garage with a co machine , adjust the mixture screw...idled like a dream, ran perfect and i drove it...now i have done nothing and hey presto!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad ::mad::mad:

Tiny Tim
18-09-2008, 19:46
Ok mate, reason I ask is because if you get swarf in there, it can take a good few tries of blasting out the idle jet to sort it.

ALWAYS check the basics first...

A) Clean out the idle jet
B) Is the mixture screw ACTUALLY still there?

Mart
18-09-2008, 19:46
Without knowing what the previous aggro was, I'll throw out a few ideas... Fuel pump on the way out? FPR playing up/ref' feed split? Fuel pump relay? Pump wiring? Dodgy feed or earth to aei causing poor spark? Dizzy cap/rotor arm excessively worn? Poor fuelling carb causing the plugs to blacken up? Cr8p engine earths? Carb needle valve partially blocked, not allowing sufficient fuel to the chamber? Needle valve partially stuck open causing carb to flood? Christ, it could be anything!

Easy way to eliminate fuel supply - Rig up a pressure gauge at the carb inlet, and next time the car starts holding back/losing power/whatever it's doing, make a note of the fuel pressure.

Easy way to eliminate fuelling on the whole - Borrow a known, good working, carb.

If both of those check out ok, it's probably ignition related.

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2008, 19:49
Ok mate, reason I ask is because if you get swarf in there, it can take a good few tries of blasting out the idle jet to sort it.

ALWAYS check the basics first...

A) Clean out the idle jet
B) Is the mixture screw ACTUALLY still there?

Aye its still there it doesnt do much when you turn it though, ill check the jets, damn thing is driving me mad...it was great too.....:mad::laugh:, is it poss that the jets inside could be picking up something, before we tried both carbs and it did it on both of them....:confused:

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2008, 19:53
Without knowing what the previous aggro was, I'll throw out a few ideas... Fuel pump on the way out? FPR playing up/ref' feed split? Fuel pump relay? Pump wiring? Dodgy feed or earth to aei causing poor spark? Dizzy cap/rotor arm excessively worn? Poor fuelling carb causing the plugs to blacken up? Cr8p engine earths? Carb needle valve partially blocked, not allowing sufficient fuel to the chamber? Needle valve partially stuck open causing carb to flood? Christ, it could be anything!

Easy way to eliminate fuel supply - Rig up a pressure gauge at the carb inlet, and next time the car starts holding back/losing power/whatever it's doing, make a note of the fuel pressure.

Easy way to eliminate fuelling on the whole - Borrow a known, good working, carb.

If both of those check out ok, it's probably ignition related.

Cheers mart intially we checked nearly all these things, different carb, new leads, different aie, tdc etc,plugs, dizzy , rotor,etc etc , plugs were blackened as it..WAS running leanish , grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....damn these reno things, why do i like them so much!!!!

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2008, 19:59
:rolleyes:is there no one bloody else on line...hint , hint.. whats with this site , a high list and only the usual hellpfull people only answer!!!!:(

Scoff
18-09-2008, 20:01
------
the revs dropped and it struggles for fuel...
------

more detail please :)

Ross99
18-09-2008, 20:02
mate i'm unsure on your woes but going jap solves nothing matey trust me, if you start to take the standard car in any form and try to enhance it then there's always a risk things go wrong, cars in general with all the moving parts suffer and need attention, i flitter between jap and others and always have done some good some bad, stick with the 5 and feel a sense of achievement once its done.

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2008, 20:07
------
the revs dropped and it struggles for fuel...
------

more detail please :)

Ahh, scoff , its seems like it hunts for fuel buddy , the rpm will not stay consistant , it goes up an down , dips and raises...:confused:, when the problem came back it dropped in revs and i had to turn the idle screw back up to get it to remotely idle, now its just sounds like it trying to catch up..if ya see my meaning....about two weeks ago it was running like a dream..for two weeks, i have changed nothing at all....sorry i put the knock sensor back on, thats it.

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2008, 20:09
mate i'm unsure on your woes but going jap solves nothing matey trust me, if you start to take the standard car in any form and try to enhance it then there's always a risk things go wrong, cars in general with all the moving parts suffer and need attention, i flitter between jap and others and always have done some good some bad, stick with the 5 and feel a sense of achievement once its done.

Cheers ross i know, hope you sort the steerin wheel out buddy.

Chris Hebden
18-09-2008, 20:11
Could this be caused by an air leak somewhere?

Penfold aka The Dealer
18-09-2008, 20:21
I had this on my grey 5, hunting for revs but only under load... is that the same with yours? It turned out to be a sparkplug not being fully in and the leads werent fully connected...

Scoff
18-09-2008, 20:23
guess you mean at idle ? does it drive ok ?

yes, air leak, in breather pipe work, or restrictor in manifold breather hose has slipped out of place, etc.

or, idle just has blocked. you won't likely have blocked any of the other jets so try cleaning the idle jet out 1st and see how you go.

failing both of those, fetch the idle screw out and make sure its rubber o ring hasn't fell to bits. :)

Os8472
18-09-2008, 20:29
STupid question, u have tried changing your fuel filter, u might be picking up crap from the bottom of the tank

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2008, 21:04
:)
guess you mean at idle ? does it drive ok ?

yes, air leak, in breather pipe work, or restrictor in manifold breather hose has slipped out of place, etc.

or, idle just has blocked. you won't likely have blocked any of the other jets so try cleaning the idle jet out 1st and see how you go.

failing both of those, fetch the idle screw out and make sure its rubber o ring hasn't fell to bits. :)

Hi scoff , yes it seems fine on boost, the breather pipes seem fine, we have checked those,, ill check the idle jet, ill also check the ole o ring to see if its perished/ missing like?!:laugh:, i dont hink its an air leak as i dont think this would just correct its self after doing the valve clearances and adjusting the the mixture screw as we did to get it perfect, ohh an cheers oli , ill check the filter and pump..:).

Also want to say a massive thanks to mark {car crash} for takin the time out to ring me and advise with regards this, blimmin nice chap....:beer:, ill have to buy ya a beer @ national!, I will have a look tommorw afternoon an see if i can get to the bottom of it..i must solve it before if not @ national day......lol:laugh: , thanks folks!!!

car.crash
18-09-2008, 21:09
i hope i helped and didnt hinder. like i say start at beggining and work forwards, check idle jet first give it a good clean, then remove mixture screw and make sure rubber is ok and the tip has not broken as scoff said above refit mixture screw wind in gently and slowly bring it out small amounts at a time and see if you can get a idle.

Adey aka Ewok
18-09-2008, 21:43
recheck the clearences bud, had one of the bolts wind loose on one of my cars once, ran like a bag of ****e. if ure about at the weekend i might be off work, not sure yet tho

Kris M
18-09-2008, 21:57
Matt. sorry i didnt ring ya earlier bud. The only things i can think of that we havnt changed ( as mart, scof and oli have said) are the fuel pump and filter, after working on the car all these times i have a small hunch that this COULD be the problem, a new mixture screw would also help to eliminate the rubber o-ring on the old one :)

car.crash
18-09-2008, 21:59
if it was filter or pump then it would play up all the time and not just on idle ?

BigDanC
18-09-2008, 22:11
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

sounds like jesus needs an a-list invite soon Marc.:)

Kris M
18-09-2008, 22:20
True Marc, just trying to think off all the stuff we have changed / altered, the fuel pump and filter arnt one of them

car.crash
18-09-2008, 22:24
from what he said on the phone, you guys had cured the problem as all was well. so im guessing idle jet has either blocked up or mixture has wound itself out or somthing along those lines. pop over sunday if you havnt sorted it by then. if dan cant fix it i dont know who can.

Mart
18-09-2008, 22:40
plugs were blackened as it..WAS running leanish

If an engine's running lean, the tips will be white. If they're black, it's over-fuelling. If that's the case, either the needle valve/float is fecked & the float chamber is flooding, your jetting is all over the place, the fpr is up the swanny & it's putting too higher fuel pressure into the carb, or it's a weak spark & not igniting the mix efficiently enough.

Not saying that's the root of your problem, but it could be linked.

I'd defo hook up a pressure gauge on the fuel line, as that'll help eliminate a few things for starters.

I don't think it's a breather related issue, but if you want to eliminate it from the equation to be sure, remove the breather pipe/nrv from the manifold, and block up the manifold hole with a relevant size bolt. If the problem still exists, you then know it's not a breather issue.

Worst case scenario, if you can get it upto ND somehow, I'm pretty sure a few of us would happily look at it on the Friday night.

Brigsy
18-09-2008, 22:41
Clean idle jet, infact change it for one with a good original o-ring. i had similar bother with the van.

j5gtt
18-09-2008, 22:59

have ya checked manifold gasket it sounds more like an air problem than fuel, :cool2:

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-09-2008, 05:29

have ya checked manifold gasket it sounds more like an air problem than fuel, :cool2:

replaced that j , its brand new mate, ill check the other bits , can you get new idle jets and mixture screws?, also is it possible that the clearances could be out again?...whatever the case i appreciate all your help peeps, if worst comes to worse ill drive it to national and see if we can all sort it!!:D,..it has to be something that was right and has gone wrong again , being as we only did the valve clearances and adjusted the mix id say possibly ade is right?....:eek:.

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-09-2008, 05:31

sounds like jesus needs an a-list invite soon Marc.:)

Cheers dan , if youre free buddy.....:D.

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-09-2008, 05:33
recheck the clearences bud, had one of the bolts wind loose on one of my cars once, ran like a bag of ****e. if ure about at the weekend i might be off work, not sure yet tho

Cheers ade , im free on sunday buddy if usefull???:)

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-09-2008, 05:42
right i have been lookin ' cgb`s site , seems he sells most of things like , mix screw, idle valve, carb base gasket and o ring, i may buy these and replace them , anyone think this is a good idea?:)..

Also if anyone can help @ all my mobby number is 07790069063, thanks peeps. jeebus.:D.

Mart
19-09-2008, 07:42
No, as you said you had already fitted a known good working carb...no?

The offer still stands if you can get it to ND...

Os8472
19-09-2008, 07:44
Get it to ND we'll sort it on the friday night inbetween beer and dancing

Tiny Tim
19-09-2008, 08:32
Get it to ND we'll sort it on the friday night inbetween beer and dancing

And laughing at you trying to kick a football ;)

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-09-2008, 19:39
No, as you said you had already fitted a known good working carb...no?

The offer still stands if you can get it to ND...

Cheers guys , im gonna have a play on sunday , if no luck then id really love to hasve all you lovely people give ole nicole a right seeing too......:agree::D

jesus in the seat of a 5
20-09-2008, 16:11
:laugh:right it has now devolped.....:laugh:, it s idles drop right off, it goes all over the place then it stalls and doesnt want to start..it cranks an cranks....:laugh:, got it going, left it on me mates farm till tuesday as im knackerd and workin flatt out:sad2::cry:, blimmin car....:laugh:

Os8472
20-09-2008, 19:02
And laughing at you trying to kick a football ;)

Er yeah and that:rolleyes:

jesus in the seat of a 5
20-09-2008, 20:06
Er yeah and that:rolleyes:

whatever you do ol`, if ya fix the 5 the bar is free for you;)

Adam 005
20-09-2008, 22:49
TDC lead

5teve L
21-09-2008, 07:45
Matt, PM me your postcode dude, if you aren't too far i'll try to pop over in the week..... Sounds like carb/fueling issues though.
I can bring the shocks then as well ;)

Steve

Oh & Jame5 had a similar problem with his car, he diod the hg & when he got it back together it was doing the same thing... we had to change carbs for a known working one (mine) & it solved it.. have you tried the carb off the other car you have to eliminate this ??

jesus in the seat of a 5
21-09-2008, 08:40
Matt, PM me your postcode dude, if you aren't too far i'll try to pop over in the week..... Sounds like carb/fueling issues though.
I can bring the shocks then as well ;)

Steve

Oh & Jame5 had a similar problem with his car, he diod the hg & when he got it back together it was doing the same thing... we had to change carbs for a known working one (mine) & it solved it.. have you tried the carb off the other car you have to eliminate this ??

Cheers steve...pm for you buddy , im in all day....:), shocks...fit um ya say....:laugh:, anyhow im feelin the rtoc love....:D.

Nayls
21-09-2008, 10:40
mini meet on the cards for tuesday :)

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-09-2008, 20:58
right , got a few genuine brand new mxture screws today , popped the old one out , didnt look too bad , hard as ya like and out of shape totally and going brittle mind, popped a new one in , started running instantly better then i popped up the garage with the c/o machine , got it set and drove it the long way home, seems o.k., i only hoped it has cured the problem....:), i was talkin to bruce on sunday he said ill put money on it causing an air leak buddy , maybe this was so , i have a spare carb comin from a nice fellow incase!!!:D, cheers to all for your advice and offers of help , lets hope...fingers crossed , thats this is it solved once and for all.....:)..jeebus.

Kris M
23-09-2008, 20:59
Matt, from our chat earlier, im sure this will have sorted the problem, there couldent be much / anything else it could be ! :)

Adey aka Ewok
23-09-2008, 21:08
corse there can be, its a renault 5, even the new bits you fitted could be dodgy.

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-09-2008, 21:15
corse there can be, its a renault 5, even the new bits you fitted could be dodgy.

feck you furrball , when youre driving abilites can allow you to get back in a 5...come an see jeez , he has four....whats this site im postin on again.......:laugh::cooter:....all over yor balls...:laugh:

Adey aka Ewok
23-09-2008, 21:28
feck you furrball , when youre driving abilites can allow you to get back in a 5...come an see jeez , he has four....whats this site im postin on again.......:laugh::cooter:....all over yor balls...:laugh:

blah blah, so jesus, did you step up a level in the end and buy that clio 172 u showed me?

ps u love the fur ;)

jesus in the seat of a 5
23-09-2008, 21:30
blah blah, so jesus, did you step up a level in the end and buy that clio 172 u showed me?

ps u love the fur ;)

A lady never tells.....:laugh:, anyhows the fur is just:hump:...grr your all man , if i can chase ya around the track..if she dont make it , i blimmin well will round the camp site:cooter: