PDA

View Full Version : brakes nitemare !

Beardo
18-09-2008, 18:55
ok so i having a nasty brake problem , please bear with me this is going to be long !! Every morning get in car and the pedal is almost not exsistant but after 5 10 mins (5 miles) the pedal is fine ! However after another 10 mins the brakes junder on there own accord and you can feel it through the steering wheel ! ok still with me ... good ! On the way home the brakes done the same thing but it takes half the time , finally when ever i reverse day or nite the rear brakes bind on and make a high pitched squeel ! The car has been lowered and has braided brake hoses and red dot discs and pads if that makes any difference ! So what is causing this as its costing me loads of fuel ! Thanks in advance :)

Tiny Tim
18-09-2008, 18:58
Beardy boy... do the rear brakes play up when reversing if they're cold? - i.e. first thing in the morning?

Beardo
18-09-2008, 18:59
sometimes yes but not all the time !

Ross99
18-09-2008, 18:59
odd that its doing it in reverse, have you blead the brakes recently? maybe you have air in the system, i'm guessing, but maybe your calipers are sticking?

mate just for a check take it down to your nearest brake centre and get them to do a free check, quickest way to diagnose the fault or if its kwik fit, go to 2 places for a second opinion.

Beardo
18-09-2008, 19:04
i bleed the brakes last year but the problem has only reared its ugly head in the last month ! As for places like quik fit etc they are all a bunch of monkeys around here !

Ross99
18-09-2008, 19:07
yeah but at least you might get an idea from them, i'm arse with cars mate learning as i go but, if the discs and pads are ok and not warped etc, and you have braided lines, it only leaves

brake lines
calipers
fluid
and brake servo

at least i assume from my limited knowledge thats all thats possibly accountable

Beardo
18-09-2008, 19:14
dont want to sound rude ross but im a mechanic by trade and yet its got me baffled ! Fair play on you for learning as you go , its the best way :D

Purple_rob
18-09-2008, 19:44
ceased pistons or sliders?.

Worn sliders so they are twisting.

Just chucking a couple of ideas out there. Not heard of it before but trying to think what would cause it.

Chris Hebden
18-09-2008, 20:15
Has the rear bar fallen out, the one that goes between the rear pads and the caliper? This could cause the pads to fall out or move slightly which is causing a snag? Im just clutching at straws!

TNT Tricky Nicky
18-09-2008, 21:09
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

one way valve from inlet manifold to servo sticking/ on it's way out? no vac = poor brakes, intermittently sticking causing the juddering

BigDanC
18-09-2008, 21:26
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

when the brakes are binding have you tried cracking a bleed nipple to release the pressure if the wheels free up after opening a nipple your looking away from the wheels and more towards the master cylinder or servo.

had the same problem in scraps at cadwell looks like the servo is sticking and holding the brakes on.

Brigsy
18-09-2008, 22:23
Sounds like the master cylinder is shot, similar thing used to happen to my gtt after being stood a while. Brakes were fine from cold, then gradually stuck on when warm until there was smoke coming off the pads. Changed it for a newun, fixed it. Only cheap £20 ish.

5teve L
18-09-2008, 22:27
Let me get this right..... you know you have dodgy brakes yet you still drive the car on the open roads :rolleyes:

dave j gtt
18-09-2008, 23:30
Let me get this right..... you know you have dodgy brakes yet you still drive the car on the open roads :rolleyes:

cheer up steve lol :crap: they work

Beardo
19-09-2008, 19:05

Yes but before i did i have made sure that if i stamp on the brake the will do an emergencey stop ! I'm not that much of a retard !

Tiny Tim
19-09-2008, 19:07
I'm not that much of a retard !

Well.... :p;)

Beardo
19-09-2008, 19:52
blow me bitch !

Adey aka Ewok
20-09-2008, 07:49
what cars it on? does it have disks front and rear or does it have drums onb the back? had the pedal problem on a clio once and a slave cylinder was leaking, squeeling brakes are quite common when reversing on different compound pads, u should hear mine, squeel like fook unless im going flat out and stomping on the pedal

Beardo
20-09-2008, 09:02
adey its on the rsi clio and has discs front and rear , apprantly the same brake set up as the gt turbo ! Leaking slave cylinder hey hhhhhhhhhhhmmmm !

Adey aka Ewok
20-09-2008, 09:30
yeah was only a tiny one too, has ure fluid been going down slowly? i think at rest over night air was getting in more that fluid going out, then when trying to drive the air was getting pumped out folowed by a little bit of fluid

Tiny Tim
20-09-2008, 10:35
Aaaaallways remember children... If liquid can get out, air can get in.