PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump relay

BriC
12-06-2009, 17:09
I bought this car knowing it has fuel pump relay issues.. it was a bit of a dodgy relay.

Anyway, I had my car running after changing the thermostat, and I was about to take it out for a spin, so I started it up, running fine for about 5 minutes.. start backing out of the drive and I realise the bonnet isn't closed, so I get out, lift it a little and drop it. When it dropped the car cut out, so I think the shock may have caused the relay to throw a wobbler. I have 2 questions.

1. Is the fuel pump relay the white one on the top far right?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/BriC175/12062009550.jpg

2. Will a campus relay do the job?

Cheers.

Ashy
12-06-2009, 17:14
no its not the white one, Looking at that pic it looks like I can see it just above the white one on the far right. Its black and will have cartier written on it!!

BriC
12-06-2009, 17:16
Aaaaaaah, right cheers. I'll give that a wibble wobble and see if it does anything :)

phase i 16 v turbo
12-06-2009, 17:24
They look like this. :D

BriC
12-06-2009, 17:27
Will a campus one work?

BriC
12-06-2009, 17:30
In fact.. campuses don't have them do they?

BriC
12-06-2009, 17:40
Swapped it for one I got with the car, and it's still not working. Should I not be hearing the relay click when I turn it over?

Nick k
12-06-2009, 18:02
I would check the AEI relay. If thats got a dodgy connection it will kill everything. Lives under the scuttle panel next to the AEI, which is right below that bonnet catch you have just shut! :) Unplug and re plug afew times to de smeg the connections. if it works replace it when you get a chance. All that relay does is cuts the ignition when the overboost switch makes but most 5's have the switches unplugged anyways!! :agree:

BriC
12-06-2009, 18:05
You say it will 'kill everything', but it is turning over.. I'm gonna remove a spark plug, give it a sniff and see if I've flooded the engine

Nick k
12-06-2009, 18:06
Sparks and fuel only.

BriC
12-06-2009, 19:17
OK, checked, and I am getting fuel, but no spark it appears. I have checked the tdc wire, which was resting on the turbo, and the outer cable was sorta melted :crap:. Stripped the outer cable back, and the red and white inner wires seemed fine. Cut the melted section out though and put a connector block in it's place, just in case this was what is causing the problem. Tried to start it again, and nothing.

Any other suggestions?

James5
12-06-2009, 19:21
Relay by the aei

TrixNFlix
12-06-2009, 19:36
If the relay by the aei is shot and the overboost sensor is not used can you just chop this relay out of the circuit?

BriC
12-06-2009, 20:09
Sorted.

Tried the relay by the aei, and that did nothing, so I got the fuel pump relay off the white one I'm breaking. Looked good as new - although a little dusty. Whacked the relay in place of the one in the car, and it fired up straight away.

Thanks everyone. You can keep your Haynes manuals - RTOC knowledge every time :agree::D

BriC
12-06-2009, 21:39
OK - maybe not. Went to tesco before, and it drove fine. Came to my car, it turned over for a bit longer than usual, then fired. Thought it would maybe be because the engine was warm, and can be a little difficult to start. Went out just then, and it decided it doesn't want to start again. Weird :scratch:

Hhm.. joy.

R5GTTRaider
12-06-2009, 22:56
some times mine takes for ever to start on a cold night/morning.

J$£5GTT
12-06-2009, 23:15
OK - maybe not. Went to tesco before, and it drove fine. Came to my car, it turned over for a bit longer than usual, then fired. Thought it would maybe be because the engine was warm, and can be a little difficult to start. Went out just then, and it decided it doesn't want to start again. Weird :scratch:

Hhm.. joy.

i get that if its very hot,but i have removed my perc fan,just takes little more cranking than before s'times,not a problem,is your dizzy an rotor arm ok??
:)

BriC
14-06-2009, 21:36
Seems it was the relay next to the AEI :ashamed:

Swapped, and the problem seems to have gone away.

James5
14-06-2009, 23:18
Seems it was the relay next to the AEI :ashamed:

Swapped, and the problem seems to have gone away.

:laugh: at least it is sorted now

wrightygtt
29-08-2010, 00:38
Hi just to open this back up, my fuel pump seems to keep running/ whirring (I think its the pump) once she fires up, although I took the fuel pump relay out and the car still started with out it??? Mine is a phase one cross over and seems slightly different to the above picture of bRIC's, I think. I also don't seem to have the white relay nearest the fuses to the top right, whats that for?:)