PDA

View Full Version : amp too much load for alternator?

mistahfreshone
12-06-2009, 14:14
hey all... just a quicky but i put a sony x plod amp and two longmill 12inch subs in my 5 the other month... my starter burned out due to the fact i drove through a mega deep ford (had no fecking choice about that either :mad:) the next journey i did in her was about 90 miles. i bumped it an she went ok but by the time i had got there the battery was just about totally flat. would this be cause of the drain of the amp? I've had bigger amps in my previous 5's and never had a prob but yeah....

Thoughts would be helpful jonny :scratch:

RICHIE
12-06-2009, 20:22
hey all... just a quicky but i put a sony x plod amp and two longmill 12inch subs in my 5 the other month... my starter burned out due to the fact i drove through a mega deep ford (had no fecking choice about that either :mad:) the next journey i did in her was about 90 miles. i bumped it an she went ok but by the time i had got there the battery was just about totally flat. would this be cause of the drain of the amp? I've had bigger amps in my previous 5's and never had a prob but yeah....

Thoughts would be helpful jonny :scratch:

im guessing you have checked the basics like the alternator you have in situ now is producing enough charge to the battery then check what the battery is charging at whilst under load;)

Grunge
13-06-2009, 09:40
I had a 1800w amp powering 2x 1600w subs and it was fine. I even had another amp for my 6x9s, but i was running a power cap. So i dont think it will be a prob with a drain from the amp.

mistahfreshone
13-06-2009, 23:12
Yeah i did check the outage of the unit thats on it, am the batt voltage seems to be fine under load... was just a bit odd. only managed to bodge a starter on it again after months of bumpin her. Fitted the amp an stuff back in today so see what happens.

Cheers anyway guys Jonny :smokin: