PDA

View Full Version : Absolutley the cheapest place to buy PC bits from

UNICRONICUS
11-06-2009, 12:49
I'm basically looking to build myself a new PC and need cheap sites to buy parts from. I've got two in mind already, ebuyer and Misco, any others?

Bigfoot
11-06-2009, 13:06
Best thing is to use sites like kelkoo and type in the parts, when I built a system I think i got them from about 4 or 5 different places. worked out cheaper even with paying the carriage.

dabs and overclockers were some others which I used.

R5GTTRaider
11-06-2009, 13:24
ebay and maplins, they do good stuff, also if you have like a computer exhance shop (theres one in bromley,kent) they do cheap cpus gfx's hdds, ram but how much you got to spend and what spec you aming for, as i know you want to build your own pc but its wayyyyy cheaper to buy a ready built system for 350/400 pounds

djinuk
11-06-2009, 13:29
i think it all comes down to what you intend to use the pc for etc.. i find harddiscs, monitors etc best from ebuyer ..

gfx cards, mobos, cpus and cases are cheap from www.overclockers.co.uk, however im told the customer services are pretty poor with them, where as when i had a harddrive fail ebuyer were spot on with me.

R5GTTRaider
11-06-2009, 13:38
i think it all comes down to what you intend to use the pc for etc.. i find harddiscs, monitors etc best from ebuyer ..

gfx cards, mobos, cpus and cases are cheap from www.overclockers.co.uk (http://www.overclockers.co.uk), however im told the customer services are pretty poor with them, where as when i had a harddrive fail ebuyer were spot on with me.
well i went for a gigabyte mobo with good north and south bridge chips and also compatable for vista and obvuiosly duel and quad core
asus crosshair 4gb ram 250bg hdd as itll be a gaming pc only/net pc only
artic cooling fan and block, with a Q6600 which is effectivly 9ghz iirc
then i have various fans which are silent ones, a old soundblaster z2 sound card and a 550watt power box and finaly a light scribe dvd burner, and also thinking of a blueray player tho not sure yet
i opted for s-ata hdd and dvd drives (and mobo of course)as its provide much quicker transition
just building cash for a 19" screen and this perspex pc box, but since the e30 and now the gtt i have had no cash spare, as it eats my spare cash in fuel lol
http://my.frooition.com/070167/images/b1.jpg

and then a hundred million blue leds for fun!!

but thats all sitting in antistatic bags in the loft waiting for the case and screen and me to build a desk lol, cant wait but took me 6 months to build and cost over 600 quid so far, and still got to by a os too :cry:

UNICRONICUS
11-06-2009, 15:34
I'm looking to build a PC for fairly high end gaming but I'm not overally fussed if my machine cannot max out the graphics that the game(s) can push out, I will be using it a lot for MS Flight Simulator too, which doesn't need a great deal. I have a mate who can supply a decent Intel Duo 3.14GHZ CPU, 2Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz ram (which is cheap to get another 2gb nowadays) and he also has more or less a full water cooling setup that he's willing to give up to me, all for around £100 (or so I hope ;)). The rest I can buy to suit these parts, e.g. decent socket 775 P45 chipset mobo, Nvidea 260 GFX card etc... This should be fine for what I intend to do. I don't want to buy a fully built system as I'd rather do it myself, more satisfaction :D

I looked at overclockers but their prices are quite pricey, but they are good to see what's available so I can copy and paste the names of the products they sell into different sites to see how they compare. I might do what you suggested Dale and go the price comparison route, I was a bit dubious on multiple postage costs though, hence why I thought about using ebuyer as they seem quite reasonable.

Cheers!

Bigfoot
11-06-2009, 15:52
I think I got the memory and case from overclockers. Has been about 3 years since I built the computer. But well worth just finding what you are after and then searching for those specs. Whats great about overclockers is that they have gaming spec base computers, just work off those and your cant really go wrong. I keep meaning to sort out a computer for myself but I dont see the point as I dont play games and it works fine for the internet and emails. thats all I use it for. Even the laptop im using now is only a celeron 1ghz with 256mb ram and 30 gb hdd, it does the job im after :D

tiff_lee
11-06-2009, 16:02
I woul;dnt go for overclockers as you have noticed they are quite expensive. The problem with shopping around sometimes and getting parts from different retailers is that the savings made this way are negated by the multiple postage fee's.

I generally get most stuff from ebuyer as they have good service, delivery time and returns etc although for some more hardcore geeky components I go elsewhere.

What chip is it your mate has for you? a core duo or core2duo? you know what model number it is?

With regards to watercooling do you really need it? I have it on my uber spec pc which is overclocked but it isnt necessary and was a waste of time. My pc at home has a e4300 in it (1.8ghz stock) at about 3.4ghz stable as hell on a artic cooling heatsink which cost peanuts, that along with a 8800gt i can play near enough any game on high settings.

UNICRONICUS
11-06-2009, 16:15
I can't remember exactly what his CPU is, maybe an E3680? It's good though so he assures me, he's very good with building high spec PC's over clocking etc... so I trust him. As for water cooling, I was happy to go with normal fan cooling but since my mate has a load of old bits anyway for cheap I thought I would give it a shot!

UNICRONICUS
12-06-2009, 16:03
I ended up buying most of my parts from ebuyer in the end, very competitive prices and everything was in stock! I ordered a case and graphics card from overclockers because the card was a bargain! http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-118-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

I'm going to stick with air cooling for now I think, couldn't be arsed to work out how to plumb the water cooling together, plus it's cheaper using fans.

Can't wait for it all to arrive, it's going to be tight y'all! :D