PDA

View Full Version : smoking

bradzr5
09-06-2009, 16:50
just recently my car is smoking sometimes wen idling. could the car be fueling a little too much?????

cleaned the jets yesterday the only thing i can think of is it might have had a bit of a blockage and cleaning them is sending too much fuel through???? was no smoke at all before cleaning them

oh and recently have removed dumpvalve as there was a vacum leak on the boost hose

thanx for any help peoples

Markey Mark (BD)
09-06-2009, 17:12
What colour is the smoke?

bradzr5
09-06-2009, 17:13
light blue colour, exactly the same as wen a first start the car

Markey Mark (BD)
09-06-2009, 17:15
Sounds like its burning oil to me, has the engine been apart recently or had any work done to it?

bradzr5
09-06-2009, 17:17
na nothing at all, check the oil everyday doesnt go down. has a bit of a oil leak but that is all

Markey Mark (BD)
09-06-2009, 17:21
Just to be on the safe side give the turbo a check, make sure there's no play i the shaft.
Also pull the oil cap of the rocker cover when the engines running and see if you have any pressure there.

How often on idle does it smoke? Everytime, on start up or after a long run?

bradzr5
09-06-2009, 17:24
start up it smokes a bit, and it has only just started doin it at idle today. it has done it three times the day at idle, it happens after a short run then nothing.

Markey Mark (BD)
09-06-2009, 17:31
start up it smokes a bit, and it has only just started doin it at idle today. it has done it three times the day at idle, it happens after a short run then nothing.

The smoke on start up sounds like worm valve stem oil seals or the valve stems themselves, oil is dripping past ehm while its not runing them on start up it burns the oil that has seeped onto the pistons.

With it still smoking on idle, give the turbo a check for play. I always check it as it's the easiest thing to check and eliminates it straight away if it checks out ok.

bradzr5
09-06-2009, 17:47
just checked for pressure under the rocker cover that is fine so only thing to check is the turbo, will check it tommorrow. hopefully it is ok

bradzr5
10-06-2009, 09:33
so wot should i be looking for in the turbo i know play on the shaft how much can there be???? is there anything else???

djinuk
10-06-2009, 09:44
I think the basics are, slight side to side is ok, however any front and back is a no no.

gtmatt
10-06-2009, 09:51
what oil type are you running , and what thickness ??

bradzr5
10-06-2009, 09:54
what oil type are you running , and what thickness ??

oil type i use 10/40

bradzr5
10-06-2009, 10:59
just checked the turbo no play at all thank god:wasntme:

any idea's on next plan of action i am totally clueless :scratch:

bradzr5
10-06-2009, 17:36
please help me i am hoping to get down to FCS this weekend but now it is looking lyk i am not

Shane P
10-06-2009, 18:01
Sounds like your turbo oil seals are shot :(

JRP
10-06-2009, 18:04
turbo oil seals.... Depends, i did do some reading a while ago and it was suggested; that if you use ****y oil at high temp it thins out far to much, then oil will pass where it shouldnt.

Am i wrong people sombody correct me if iam.

Markey Mark (BD)
10-06-2009, 18:13
Normally play in the turbo tells you if the turbo's had it, only real way to tell now is pull the elbow off and see if its covered in oil on the turbine housing. If not its coming from the engine. Turbo's don't have oil seals in them by the way;)

Yes if the oil is too thin it can find its way out of worn bearings or gaps in components but the oil needs to get hot to go thin enough so would normally happen more once its been for a long drive.

bradzr5
10-06-2009, 20:54
found the problem my oil feed hose is split right were it comes form the block.

does any1 now where i can get a full hose from heard that some places only sell the braided part

oh and wot oil should i use???? as i will need to top my engine back up as the contents of my engine are on my driveway

here is a picture if it helps

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=7019

there is another one on my profile under first problem thanx for all the help