PDA

View Full Version : 5 GTX starter motor issues

mistahfreshone
09-06-2009, 13:00
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi all,
The starter burned out on my gtx a while ago, I ordered a new one which came and was fitted.. When the key was turned the bendix engaged turned the engine really slowy for about a second then jammed out onto the flywheel (which was fun to get off again) The bendix itself was much bigger than the one on the starter that was on it before and it had 1 more tooth.
So i crossed the numbers that were on the starter that burned out and was told that was a s505 which was then sent out to me. When this was fitted the bendix popped out and made a nasty grinding sound on the flywheel and did not engage properly... When i looked at the casting on the front of the S505 it quite clearly says mitsubishi on it and also only has an M8 threaded hole at the top instead of a M10 as the first started i was sent.

I have a starter guide for one manufacturer and they list two types for the gtx 1721 why would this be? different gearboxes?

I'm a bit confused to be fair... I am a mechanic myself an this is really baking my noodle at the mo. Anyone else had any issues with their starter or have any ideas?? Would be much appreciated :mad: :scratch: :mad:

Cheers Jonny

michael tierney
09-06-2009, 19:01
where did u get the starter?

mistahfreshone
09-06-2009, 23:43

Cheers for the reply... I got the units from motormania... we have used them as our motor factors for years now. However i have spoke a guy at the renault garage an he tells me that the t174 unit (which is the one the bendix is too big on) is what should be fitted to my car!

Nick k
10-06-2009, 00:26
The 5 gt turbo one is a valeo unit as standard. Dunno the difference on the gfx to be fair. I'll have a look at the code on my spare tomorrow and how many teeth it has.

mistahfreshone
11-06-2009, 00:41

Thanks mate would be a help like :D

Its gonna get a bodging tomorrow I reckon :crap:

mistahfreshone
13-06-2009, 23:16
Managed to fit the s505 unit and get it to work but only two of the bolts will line up.. had to take the dowel out and put the bolt washer heads on the marks where the old unit was fixed... Works for now till i get the other lump in anyhow :D