PDA

View Full Version : Changing an alternator

Tillax
08-06-2009, 16:32
My car conked out the other day for the first time in 2 and a half years, I'd driven it to the garage about ten minutes from my house and had noticed the battery light flickering on the dash. I put some petrol in paid and went to start it again and heard that fast repeated clicking sound that I've taken to mean "not enough power to turn the starter". Anyway some nice guy helped me jump start it and I thought "THANK THE LORD" and off I went.... for about 200 meters before I lost all elecrical power on approach to a roundabout :(.

Managed to get home (five minutes away) using one of those car starting powerpacks which I left plugged on to the battery for the remainder of the journey home.

Anyway, I'm guessing that either I've got a loose wire somewhere or the alternator has packed up. Any ideas on that anyone?

If I am correct and it is the alternator, how easy is it to replace? It seems to be in a pretty favourable position.

Shane P
08-06-2009, 16:40
Check the tension of the alternator belt :)

You will need a voltmeter across the battery terminals while the car is running to see if you are getting full charge, turn on as many power consuming things as you can , heated rear window elements, heater fan, lights. You need 13.5 - 14.8 volts with everything turned on.

Changing it for another alternator is very very easy, most of the time its the regulator that fails which can replaced in situ.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4799

Tillax
08-06-2009, 16:54
Check the tension of the alternator belt :)

You will need a voltmeter across the battery terminals while the car is running to see if you are getting full charge, turn on as many power consuming things as you can , heated rear window elements, heater fan, lights. You need 13.5 - 14.8 volts with everything turned on.

Changing it for another alternator is very very easy, most of the time its the regulator that fails which can replaced in situ.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4799

Cool, thanks, to be honest the engine note has always changed everytime the cooling fan comes on, I don't know if this is normal or not but maybe its been on its way out for a while. The fan belt has never squeaked, nor has it ever been replaced but I guess my first port of call should be to check the belt tension then borrow a voltmeter.

Thanks

mightymanx
08-06-2009, 17:04
sounds like the alternator but could also mean the starter motors on its way out check the alternator with a volt meter 1st is thats ok probly the starter motor i had this happen on a old 5 i had changed the alternator thought that had fixed it turned out to be the starter motor:)

R5GTTRaider
08-06-2009, 21:01
Cool, thanks, to be honest the engine note has always changed everytime the cooling fan comes on, I don't know if this is normal or not but maybe its been on its way out for a while. The fan belt has never squeaked, nor has it ever been replaced but I guess my first port of call should be to check the belt tension then borrow a voltmeter.

Thanks
i have a healthy alyernater and new 440watt battary, and it does on mine, its just the draw from the aux bit, the lights,heater, rear demister etc will change the note of the car as your drawing energy and the alternater works harder causing more resistance

Tillax
08-06-2009, 22:04
i have a healthy alyernater and new 440watt battary, and it does on mine, its just the draw from the aux bit, the lights,heater, rear demister etc will change the note of the car as your drawing energy and the alternater works harder causing more resistance

Do you think a higher output alternator would help? Since it looks like I'm going to have to replace it anyway?

Kris M
08-06-2009, 22:15
the standard alternator is fine ;).....I even ran a campus alternator on my GTT for months ( apparently lower output?) with no problems at all

J$£5GTT
08-06-2009, 22:16
Do you think a higher output alternator would help? Since it looks like I'm going to have to replace it anyway?

would not bother,a good valeo or lucas replacement will be up to the job.
:agree:

markey b
09-06-2009, 01:09
and replacing the alt is a 10min job, nice and easy :)

Tillax
09-06-2009, 10:00
and replacing the alt is a 10min job, nice and easy :)

Cool, thats what I like to hear :)