PDA

View Full Version : Rusty GT Turbo Shots - Should I Buy It???

Simonf1973
07-06-2009, 09:44
First post!

Hi Guys.
Having had one way back in 1989, I've suddenly gone all nostalgic for a 5 GT Turbo and have been looking around for an absolutely standard car with history. I've found something close.

Just had some close-ups of the rust on it. Doesn't look horrific and I know a good bodyshop/painter, but would you buy this???

It's a 91 H plates with 80 odd thousand miles and full history. Apparently the rust is the only fault. Underside and sills are faultless.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

Simon

RICHIE
07-06-2009, 09:50
its not that bad in all honesty. but were that windscreen t piece is whats that there is it filler of is it just a crack in the paint. a windscreen front surround pannel will cost you in the region of 250 quid mate. tailgates are easy found if its beyond repair.

Simonf1973
07-06-2009, 09:57
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Cheers Richie.
Thought it looked a bit superficial. He says the previous owner did some "repairs" to it. Definitely looks like a brush and Dulux job! There's probably some filler in there too, although he didn't mention it.

I was just a little concerned that the rot might have come from the bottom of the bulkhead which wouldn't have been good news!

Only other things seem to be fault electric windows (blanks replaced with winders - Did that with mine back in 89 too!), radio doesn't work and one of the central locking motors has packed up.

RICHIE
07-06-2009, 09:59
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Cheers Richie.
Thought it looked a bit superficial. He says the previous owner did some "repairs" to it. Definitely looks like a brush and Dulux job! There's probably some filler in there too, although he didn't mention it.

I was just a little concerned that the rot might have come from the bottom of the bulkhead which wouldn't have been good news!

Only other things seem to be fault electric windows (blanks replaced with winders - Did that with mine back in 89 too!), radio doesn't work and one of the central locking motors has packed up.

i will swap my electrics for the manual winders if you get it. if the price is right go for it if your prepared to spend the time on it.

phase i 16 v turbo
07-06-2009, 10:38
As Richie says, get a new surround as alot of repairs don't last long. I have had a few 5s with rust around the window and there isn't alot of room to around the screen to be cutting rust out so hard to make sure you have got it all.

ollie j
07-06-2009, 22:36
Thats not that bad at all.

I purchased a new windscreen surround from renault a few weeks back for £180 got it welded in and painted the other day and its perfect.

Other place you might want to check for rust is under the rear window seals, quite common, and you cant usualy see any signs untill u pull the seal back, So i found any way.

Woznaldo
07-06-2009, 23:17
How closely have you looked at this car? The photos you've posted are of the obvious stuff but, what about the sills, rear bumper side mounts, etc etc.....?

I'd be looking a lot closer before passing over any cash!

Good luck all the same mate.:)