PDA

View Full Version : Timing tdc wire swap.

Nick k
06-06-2009, 17:25
Just swapped my wires over, red to white etc and it wont run. It just back fires and gets the arse?? Do you have to unplug the knock sensor or anything like that or is just a straight forward wire swap??:confused:

Brigsy
06-06-2009, 17:44
Are the tdc wires connected properly? Should start/run fine without any mods.

Nick k
06-06-2009, 17:46
I'll go try it again now!!

Cheers

R5GTTRaider
06-06-2009, 18:11
bit silly here but why cross the wires?

jure
06-06-2009, 18:22
By swapping 'em you gain approx 4 degrees of (ignition) advance.

R5GTTRaider
06-06-2009, 18:29
which makes more power? which allows more psi before det?

Brigsy
06-06-2009, 18:34
More ign advance = lower det threshold on these engines.

R5GTTRaider
06-06-2009, 18:39
so would it be worth me doing when i raise to 18psi or now on 14psi? would i find it ruuns better, i know what advansing ignition does, under what application would you need to swap the wires?

Markey Mark (BD)
06-06-2009, 18:43
Me personally i wouldn't cross the wire,'s, i'd just move the timing sensor.

Every engine is different so you may find 4deg of advance is either good or bad for your engine, by moving the sensor you can adjust it 1deg at a time either way and find where it makes the most power.

R5GTTRaider
06-06-2009, 18:46
i see, so maybe if i try swapping, if it feels like crap or loss of power then swap back and move the sensor, as it does feel like the timing is out but of course isnt, it could well be overfueling,

Nick k
06-06-2009, 18:47
I'll go try it again now!!

Cheers

It works :) Im a tit! Set my boost to 15psi and im good to go :D Now just got to re-gap the tappets to noisey mode due to the piper cam stupid clearances :(

Cheers. :agree:

Nick k
06-06-2009, 18:49
Me personally i wouldn't cross the wire,'s, i'd just move the timing sensor.

Every engine is different so you may find 4deg of advance is either good or bad for your engine, by moving the sensor you can adjust it 1deg at a time either way and find where it makes the most power.

I'll bear that im mind when something melts :D

R5GTTRaider
06-06-2009, 18:51
the tdc sensor, were that located? i know the knock sensor is at the front, never realy took much notice tbh!:ashamed:

Brigsy
06-06-2009, 18:52
:agree:

Id get some means of listening for det connected up if you haven't already, before testing to be on the safe side:)

Markey Mark (BD)
06-06-2009, 18:52
i see, so maybe if i try swapping, if it feels like crap or loss of power then swap back and move the sensor, as it does feel like the timing is out but of course isnt, it could well be overfueling,

The timing sensor can only adjusts the spark if moved other then that its fixed, wouldn't have anything to do with the timing of the engine thats down to the cam and crank sprockets and there non-adjustable.

If you feel the car is over fueling whats the carb like, has it been played with in the past?

Markey Mark (BD)
06-06-2009, 18:53
the tdc sensor, were that located? i know the knock sensor is at the front, never realy took much notice tbh!:ashamed:

On top of the gearbox above the flywheel

R5GTTRaider
06-06-2009, 19:00
well it isnt overfueling just feels like it, i have no experince with turbo's hands on but read alot, but i get offboost hesitation,
and the car is fastest if the throttle isnt open fully first off, like 1/2 throttle then itll accelerate and full throttle.
there is a slight hesitaion, but not like a jerk like its like its struggerling to use the boost at the begining
its hard to explain, but this only happens when cold or if i open up fully off boost, which makes me think it dosnt have the standard jets, but then it seems ok just me being niggly and as ive never owned a carb'd turbo before it may well be normal

Markey Mark (BD)
06-06-2009, 19:04
well it isnt overfueling just feels like it, i have no experince with turbo's hands on but read alot, but i get offboost hesitation,
and the car is fastest if the throttle isnt open fully first off, like 1/2 throttle then itll accelerate and full throttle.
there is a slight hesitaion, but not like a jerk like its like its struggerling to use the boost at the begining
its hard to explain, but this only happens when cold or if i open up fully off boost, which makes me think it dosnt have the standard jets, but then it seems ok just me being niggly and as ive never owned a carb'd turbo before it may well be normal

Sounds like the carb needs a service mate, could be the acclerator pump jet needs cleaning or adjusting

R5GTTRaider
06-06-2009, 19:30
could be tho i dred taking it apart, confedent to do it

basicly, when its cold if i put my foot on the throttle itlle splutter and back fire occasonaly and sound like misfiring till boost has incresed and then it flys, once warm i only get it very often, like going from crusing off boost, in the turbos spooling range to full boost on full throttle, i then get a bit of a hesitation, but if i apply 1/3 thrttle then 2/4 then full its apsolutly fine, and feels tons quicker

Kenobi
06-06-2009, 21:19
Ah I see what your saying but one of my friends egon says its very bad to cross the streams raymond.