PDA

View Full Version : Piper cam valve clearances??

Nick k
06-06-2009, 09:38
Running a BP270 cam in a C1J engine. Now the piper cam tech data says the clearances should be .25mm and .30mm. I currently have my valve clearances at .15mm and .20mm so it sounds sweet, and i did'nt read the piper tech data before setting them.

My question is: Will it make any difference to the performance of the cam with the clearances im running? Do i want a tappy engine :crap: Cheers.

jure
06-06-2009, 17:12
Safety wise you should set tappets according to piper tech sheet especially if you're gonna rev it higher than before which is, after all, purpose of this cam.

gttjames
06-06-2009, 17:58
hmm... when i did my tappets i did them to the haynes manual. But since finding my cars peak power is at 6500rpm guessing it has a different cam, will the haynes manual settings be ok?

Markey Mark (BD)
06-06-2009, 18:07
I've set my old piper cam or standard cam to .20 on inlet and outlet and have had no probs.
If you have set them to standard james you sholdn't have a problem at all.

gttjames
06-06-2009, 21:02
cheers mark, yer set them to standard haynes manual settings a year ago and its been fine.

No wonder mine allways sounded abit lumpy on idle compared to my mates, because of the cam

Theros
06-06-2009, 21:23
cheers mark, yer set them to standard haynes manual settings a year ago and its been fine.

No wonder mine allways sounded abit lumpy on idle compared to my mates, because of the cam

So if I have Piper 285 cam in C1J engine (R11 Turbo), what I should use? I did mine with Haynes too... hmmm...