PDA

View Full Version : what happened to turbo pacs renault 5 gt turbo dimma

ginty26
17-09-2008, 23:18
First post!

i use to work at turbo pacs in county durham and my boss marc dellapina owned a renault 5 gt turbo dimma in black that has be hghly moded to about 280bhp and it was incredable this little car and would love to now the history of it now if it is still about as marc sold it about 5 years ago and i was gutted at the time as i could not build upthe car to buy the car but it still in the back of my mind all the time alove it
si if any 1 nows the car let me now its a

black gt turbo dimma on a f reg with massave modifications :rolleyes:

email me and let me know at

ginty1982@live.co.uk

Nayls
17-09-2008, 23:24
did'nt they build a group x stage 487 car that got whooped by gt tuning in a shoot out?

Mart
17-09-2008, 23:36
280hp you say?

:)

AlexS
18-09-2008, 00:10
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Oh dear. This post has just brought back some nightmares.:eek: Years of therapy to forget it all & it all comes rushing back. Double radiators, dodgy charge coolers, stage 50 heads & a demo car that's no faster than a standard one & blows up at the drop of a hat. No...........No................................... ...........NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........
......................................:cry::cry: ;)

Mart
18-09-2008, 00:20
Let's not forget the stage 7 (wtf?!) boost recirc kit that geniusly dumped hot charge air back into the turbo inlet.

Think I'll go & brew myself a cup of FAIL...

Miller
18-09-2008, 02:08
I know you are only having a joke but the guy is only wanting to know the where abouts of the car now. I am sure if what he says is true and he worked for them, he will know fine well how un-reliable it was.

Chris:)

Mart
18-09-2008, 08:14
Banter is a forgotten word on here these days :sad2: :crap:

ginty26
18-09-2008, 08:47

sureprised i got responce to this posting ha ha

i no i no that there where not the best people in the world for making 5 proply i do admite but the dimma was a fantastic piece of kit when it never blow up it was about 270 to 280 brake and when we done track days i was npt the slowest car out there buy far but not the fastest as well

i just had a little soft spot for that car and wanted to now if its alive or die yet

mark had put 30 grand in that dimma and i was a good think if you every went in it then you would now that compared to a standard 5 it was on a dif planet reving round to 8500 rph with side exit straight threw exhaust wilwood brakes coiloverc etc

Billy-G
18-09-2008, 11:41
I never had an opinion about those guys one way or another. Until a mate bought a car that had been 'fettled' by them.

I spent a weeks leave putting it all back to some semblance of 'should be like this'.

I'm no ace mechanic, but I am a degree qualified Mech Engineer, and you know something? I think you could get a chimp to have a better understanding of how to make a car go faster, and with better workmanship, than what was on that car.

From the central heating pipe trying to do the job of a charge cooler fluid run (bodge) to the thermal handling of the water jacket (not enough!) to the hot air put back (as Mart pointed out) to the inlet tract to the clown job that was the carb (overfueloverfueloverfuelborewashborewashborewashB OOOOOOMMM) seriously,

WTF were they thinking??

Postive proof that anyone can buy a set of spanners and say, 'I'm a tuner, me!'

Tiny Tim
18-09-2008, 11:58
Will the real '48 please stand up... please stand up.. .

Sparkie
18-09-2008, 12:00

mark had put 30 grand in that dimma and i was a good think if you every went in it then you would now that compared to a standard 5 it was on a dif planet reving round to 8500 rph with side exit straight threw exhaust wilwood brakes coiloverc etc

no doubt he did spend £30k on it...my thoughts are where though...

cam - £150
t28 turbo - £600
side exit inc large downpipe - £300
wilwood brakes -£2000 max???
coilovers - £700 max???

where's the other £26k gone?

Bodell
18-09-2008, 12:01

Labour :laugh:

maybe on some of these:

Clicky (http://www.potn.co.uk/p1033402.htm)

James5
18-09-2008, 12:02
Will the real '48 please stand up... please stand up.. .

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BriC
18-09-2008, 12:03
no doubt he did spend £30k on it...my thoughts are where though...

cam - £150
t28 turbo - £600
side exit inc large downpipe - £300
wilwood brakes -£2000 max???
coilovers - £700 max???

That's what I thought :confused::scared:

BriC
18-09-2008, 12:10
Labour :laugh:

maybe on some of these:

Clicky (http://www.potn.co.uk/p1033402.htm)

I actually want those wheels.. Shame how much they cost :(

V Man
18-09-2008, 12:22

Turbo Pacs. A sensitive issue for any member from the North East that owned a renault 5. ONE of the problems was the faulty calculator that kept adding 0000's on the end of a bill. Reconditioned Mat C Ringworm carb years ago by putting a new main jet in and charging £50. I can see why the figure of £30k came from:eek:

I haven't seen a black Dimma in Durham over last few years though. Shame!

Brigsy
18-09-2008, 12:29
:laugh:

I miss the legendary turbo pacs stickers on your old raider.

I went down my local renault dealers recently, got chatting to one of the salesman, he said a mate took his gtt to turbo pacs for a h/g, cost him a small fortune, blew up after ten mile:laugh:

Mart
18-09-2008, 13:06
This thread lost all its credibility once the 280hp bollox was mentioned...

Sparkie
18-09-2008, 14:21
This thread lost all its credibility once the 280hp bollox was mentioned...

it is possible....just at what boost?

i remember back in the day alot of people claimed 280bhp...didn't they Mart?:laugh:

chris_t
18-09-2008, 14:34

:laugh:

I miss the legendary turbo pacs stickers on your old raider.

My poor old Raider, shes had a hard life :cry:

Andrew Cooke
18-09-2008, 14:35

i remember back in the day alot of people claimed 280bhp...didn't they Mart?:laugh:

wasn't that 270 soft southern horses? :laugh:

Mart
18-09-2008, 14:47

Pretty sure people weren't fitting blowers capable of that much power back then ;) If that were the case, Roly @ GTT would've been blowing the bragging rights trumpet a bit more louder.

:laugh: It was 271hp actually, and that was misquoted as well ;) :D

Mart
18-09-2008, 14:53
wasn't that 270 soft southern horses? :laugh:

c'off :laugh:

Penfold aka The Dealer
18-09-2008, 16:02
Pretty sure people weren't fitting blowers capable of that much power back then ;) If that were the case, Roly @ GTT would've been blowing the bragging rights trumpet a bit more louder.

:laugh: It was 271hp actually, and that was misquoted as well ;) :D

Please tell me that copy of "What ever power" mag hasnt been lost....

Mart
18-09-2008, 16:25
Think it was Redline? I was misquoted...badly :( :crap:

Thankfully, I have nothing to prove to those bunch of feckwit, good for nothing, uneducated, loosely-termed 'journalists'.

It's just as well I'm not bitter about it still... :D ;)

Billy-G
18-09-2008, 16:45
Think it was Redline? I was misquoted...badly :( :crap:

Thankfully, I have nothing to prove to those bunch of feckwit, good for nothing, uneducated, loosely-termed 'journalists'.

It's just as well I'm not bitter about it still... :D ;)

Oh, hell no...:laugh:

paul b
18-09-2008, 17:09
what happened to turbo pacs renault 5 gt turbo dimma

it was used only last week in the LHC.....experiment of the first protons injected in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

it had been used to run the proton upto about 400miles an hour to give it a head start

AlexS
18-09-2008, 17:52

Do you remember the Tuner Shootout article. Forget the mag now but was possibly an early Lax Flower. Fair play to Roly, he wiped the floor with the lot of them in 1/4 mile, top speed, handling & high speed endurance. Seem to remember them lapping Rolys Raider demo at 125mph+ for lap after lap on an banked test track.

Didn't the TPACS demo lunch itself in spectacular fashion on the way to equally non-spectacular 1/4 mile times & a rather embarrasing top speed run as well!

If that thing had 280bhp then so did my big toe.:sad2:

paul b
18-09-2008, 17:52
he must have fitted electric super duper wuper chargers

Mart
18-09-2008, 18:00
Aii, it was an early Max Power, and I think it was at Brunters? Roly served up some smackdown for everyone else that day, for sure.

Recall seeing a picture of the T.P car with its bonnet up, smoke billowing out everywhere.

In fairness though, we've all been there! :D

Martyn....11 Turbo
18-09-2008, 19:22
That must of been back in the day when (dare i say it) Max Power may of been a decent read, with proper cars.

Andrew Cooke
18-09-2008, 19:27
going back to the original question....

when was the last time anyone saw said car in the flesh, equally has anybody here even seen the car?

280 is nothing, there are traders out there with way more BSHP than that :D

V Man
18-09-2008, 21:29

My poor old Raider, shes had a hard life :cry:

You rotten swines!
I loved that car.:(
Brigsy you just wanted those stickers because they were cool.

Do you have any pics of it now chris?
P.S I found 3 MOT's when clearing out my stuff last weekend if you want me to send them?

Ashy
18-09-2008, 21:42
Turbo Pacs :rolleyes:

Are they still going? I was chatting to a chap in the paint shop next door who said a chap had left his Red Turbo2 with them when he went to the States, he's never been back so they kept the car... :crap:

Mat didn't even get a new carb jet for £50.00 he just drilled out the main!

ginty26
18-09-2008, 21:43

i remember the day max power where at the block yard at sunderland many moons ago and on the way home there was a race on down the a19 and from sunderland to peterlee the dmma was racing a 250 brake calibra turbo and the speedo in the dimma was offthe clock all the way down the road and the calibra could not pass the dimma for **** and them do 150+ and then the calibra driver came to turbo pacs a fortnight later and said he was flat out

that day of the shoot out the car was not well at all it was a pitty problem with water injection and could not get car running rite on the day

ginty26
18-09-2008, 21:47

that is true about the turbo 2 and it was ****ing mint car got sent over from abroad for a 21 turbo converion and there never heard from customer ever since so after a year by law it was legally there car and marc sold it on for 5000 grand which was **** all for the car he gave it away

i think that it come over with drugs in it then got pard of to marc how nice

ginty26
18-09-2008, 21:51

so can any tell meif the dimma has been seen since turbo pacs sold it

Billy-G
18-09-2008, 22:14
Are you a bit

well

'special'?

:scared:

Mart
18-09-2008, 22:52
Ok, I think this thread has run its course. If anyone knows of the car, and can be bothered to get in contact, the guy's email address is at the start of this thread.

Thread locked.

PS, message to the committee: Why are we letting non-members post on the forums now?

From Miller

Non-members can only post in general chat and the returning members forum, they cannot see any other boards. The thought behind letting non members view the site, is so they can come in and have a small (restricted) look around before they join.

As you will have noticed we have given all non-members that yellow picture in their profile and avatar. This is a visual indication to the member, so they do not give any info away (one of the main reasons for joining).

They can also post in other people threads in the mentioned boards, but i will just turn that off now.

Chris:)

Scoff
18-09-2008, 22:58
Its only possible to post in the chat forums mart, seemed like a way to maybe get people hooked into the club. see it as a trial thing, so may or may not last ..

Mart
18-09-2008, 23:08
Fair do's chaps. Just I've got visions of similar threads being posted as time goes by.

Nothing wrong with the thread in trying to find the car, or the banter about the power level/reliability, but the line gets drawn when street-racing like that is mentioned, and even more so, when there's no remorse about someone's pride & joy (the T2) being jacked off like that. Unbelievable :sad2: