PDA

View Full Version : piper 285 cam..

w35ty
05-06-2009, 18:36
hi peeps..

i brought a piper 285 cam and the springs off a guy.. he never had the pulley so i aint got one. am i alright to use my pulley or would it be best to get the piper one?

any help?

philr5t
05-06-2009, 18:41
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

hi peeps..

i brought a piper 285 cam and the springs off a guy.. he never had the pulley so i aint got one. am i alright to use my pulley or would it be best to get the piper one?

any help?

hi mate i may have to double check for you but you should be ok to use the standard pulley once the cam has been timed in but you will need to use a vernier pulley to time it in first hope this helps

Brigsy
05-06-2009, 18:48
Id fit a vernier pulley to get the cam dialled in properly, From what ive read/heard the piper grinds are quite far out.

As for fitting a vernier then refitting o.e pulley, how would that work as it would knock the timing out :rolleyes: Im assuming you meant fit o.e pulley first to get the cam somewhere near then fit the vernier & dial it in...

w35ty
06-06-2009, 17:46
sound mate.. looks like more money then:crap: ahh well worth it ay!

Alex
06-06-2009, 18:11
Measure the cam first then decide if you need to buy a vernier...:)

Brigsy
06-06-2009, 18:25
Measure the cam first then decide if you need to buy a vernier...:)

:agree:

Could also time it the old skool way, by enlarging the slot in the cam & wedging it. Looks tricky to do accurately though, Its explained in the tuning bl series a by David Vizard.

The book also explains how to degree a cam properly, well worth a read if its your first time fitting a cam.