PDA

View Full Version : oil leaking out turbo exhaust housing

V Man
03-06-2009, 15:29
Helllo:)

I have finally got around to working on my 5 after not touching it for over a year now. I literally had to scrape the cob webs of it to get in.

I swapped the spark plugs and charged the battery and fired her up... Good start.
I gave the throttle a few beans to get her to idle (possibly a bit enthusiastic) anyway when I revved I notices oil leak out the back of the turbo exhaust housing and a good ol puff of smoke out the back
I can't take it for a decent drive as its not legal. I idles fine though.
I expected a bit of oil as it has not been run for so long. There is plenty of oil in the engine. What does the oil mean...I don't like it...

IANMM
03-06-2009, 15:37
perished oil return hose.......?

did you prime the turbo and oil feed line before starting her up?

Brigsy
03-06-2009, 17:19
Time for a turbo rebuild if there's no leaks mate :(

V Man
03-06-2009, 17:59
Feck! No I did not prime the turbo:eek:
The oil was actually coming from the wastegate/exhaust housing area leaking from the top! Does that sound ominous?
I can't believe I crippled it in 2 minutes :cry:

Os8472
03-06-2009, 19:27
I had that b4. the oil seals were screwed, sorry dude, sound like it needs a rebuiled

Adam L
03-06-2009, 19:30
Because the car has been sat for so long the core has probaby run totally dry, and without priming it the shaft may have run without lubrication on the bearings.

Ashy
03-06-2009, 20:15
Bad news George!

Had a similar thing on my T3, this thread may help.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=5102

If the seals just perished it would be a failry easy fix / rebuild as the shaft and core should be OK :)

V Man
04-06-2009, 21:39
Because the car has been sat for so long the core has probaby run totally dry, and without priming it the shaft may have run without lubrication on the bearings.

Actually i had to turn the car over for bloomin ages before I actually started the car so I reckon the turbo must have been primed. I have started dowel issues to so maybe the seals just perished.:confused:

Oil leaks out the back of turbo could it have come from somewhere else
? engine pressure prob. I had it idling for 30 mins tonight ok with no revs and dropped the oil. It probably needs a run out and proper test.

Might be picking your brain Ashy marrow:agree: