PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid

car.crash
17-09-2008, 20:30
im in need of some decent brake fluid with a high boiling point, i already have 5.1 unsure what the boiling points are but it knackerd anyway.

whats the differance between wet and dry boiling points.

Duncan Grier
17-09-2008, 20:58
WET VS. DRY BOILING POINT
The term boiling point when used regarding brake fluid means the temperatures that brake fluid will begin to boil.
WET BOILING POINT
The minimum temperatures that brake fluids will begin to boil when the brake system contains 3% water by volume of the system.
DRY BOILING POINT
The temperatures that brake fluid will boil with no water present in the system.

Check the tech info on the brake fluid but Castrol super DOT 4 is good and has a high boiling point also ATE Super blue is good and not a bad price. May want to look at cooling if you dont have it and check your brake lines are not getting cooked by something like a hot turbo etc :D

car.crash
17-09-2008, 21:07
oh now it makes sense wet is with small traces of water present, i have recently bought a tester and it confirmed my fluid was wet, so i drained and filled with new, i boiled this at cadwell so in need of better fluid for mallory. i will aim for the highest dry point then. thanks duncan

any idea on what a good track pad is or have i opend can or worms, i ran mintex at cadwell but i think they are crap.

Kris M
17-09-2008, 21:32
I went to fit my braided hoses + new fluid last weekend to find that some nice person has sheared both rear caliper nipples, Not gonna be able to get them done before mallory, oh well my standard brake hoses will brave the track once again !!!

car.crash
17-09-2008, 21:35
i have braided lines here too, not going to risk fitting them now incase i bugger a copper brake line.

Duncan Grier
17-09-2008, 21:36
Lots of options on pads, are the mintex fading? Are they 1144's or 1155's

I used to find pagid were good with std caliper and brembo max discs but then went all AP and never tried anything other than DS2500's which were more than upto the job.

Duncan Grier
17-09-2008, 21:38
I went to fit my braided hoses + new fluid last weekend to find that some nice person has sheared both rear caliper nipples, Not gonna be able to get them done before mallory, oh well my standard brake hoses will brave the track once again !!!

Drill and tap ftw :D easy fix Kris

Kris may have a set of nearly new calipers in the shed - will have a look and text you tomorrow ;)

car.crash
17-09-2008, 21:42
Lots of options on pads, are the mintex fading? Are they 1144's or 1155's

I used to find pagid were good with std caliper and brembo max discs but then went all AP and never tried anything other than DS2500's which were more than upto the job.

i would love to go for bigger calipers but if i did they would be street use only as i love the slicks and the 13's on track. im using drilled discs all round with front ducts, not that they direct air straight to disc but it creates some flow.
i found the mintex were fading easily, and now im sure they are glazed so im binning them.

Duncan Grier
17-09-2008, 21:46
Standard calipers are actually very good on the 5! Think fresh fluid, work on that ducting and more agressive pad/endurance pad should see you ok - just may not work from cold so well LOL

Pagid RS2 might be a good starting point

Paul B may have some experiance of pads as he has retained std calipers etc on his 9 and goes on track loads!!!!

car.crash
17-09-2008, 21:47
duncan your a star, cant wait to see the vx on the track.

fresh fluid will be done this week.

Duncan Grier
17-09-2008, 21:57
duncan your a star, cant wait to see the vx on the track.

fresh fluid will be done this week.

No problem, few brake issues to sort on mine this weekend lol

Rear pads are low (not a problem) have a full set of spare pads and a brand new set of front AP calipers and 1 brand new rear Brembo caliper and a refurb kit in the post for the other side - few! Rear is starting to bind and one of the caliper rubber seals is split. So either going to clean up and copper grease for the day and bring spare pads or drain the fluid and swap the lot but then need to bleed the clutch also and I do not have a tech 2 to fully bleed the ABS system although prob be fine - fluid is clear and not boiled (yet lol)

If I did not have a track day at Snetterton on Monday I would def change the lot but dont want to risk it - things like that have a habbit of testing you at 3am Monday morning 5hrs before briefing lol

Just hope it is dry, vx is a bit of a handful in the wet!!!

car.crash
17-09-2008, 22:03
tech 2 ahh the good old days of owning a vauxhall :cry:

i have a obd2 scanner that reads and erases trouble codes, if it works on tech 2 it would be a worthy investmant for you to buy one. i hope its dry to as i may live up to my username if its not.

i bled my brakes a few times on my astra and never got any fault lights thrown up, but i luckily never had to bleed the clutch.

Duncan Grier
17-09-2008, 22:09
Got a Obd2 scanner / eraser thing but does not do ABS as it is seperate. Sure it will be fine without ;)

Clutch should be easy just have to strip half the car to get to it LOL

scratcher
17-09-2008, 23:03

a garage managed to bleed mine from the brake hose, as in where it screws in because one of my nipps had broken off. or get a screw extractor on the case ;)

Kris M
17-09-2008, 23:07
"Drill and tap ftw :D easy fix Kris

Kris may have a set of nearly new calipers in the shed - will have a look and text you tomorrow ;)"

Thanks Dunc :)

FurioKid
18-09-2008, 09:54
I've had a problem bleeding my brakes up. Fitted all new brake pipes, braided brake lines, serviced all the calipers and fitted a new master cylinder. Using racing brake fluid (which can also be used for road cars). Bled all the brakes and got fluid coming out of all of them, but the pedal is only just of the floor, although if you pump it up then it comes higher and is a firm pedal with no sinkage. and I haven't found any leaks.

Was unsure whether this was okay cos at the minute I've got no engine fitted and the cars currently on axle stands. I've put a bolt in the vacuum pipe of the servo to keep some pressure in.

Has anyone else had this problem??

car.crash
18-09-2008, 13:41
euro car parts are doing green stuff pads for 30 quid, would they do the trick?

Tiny Tim
18-09-2008, 13:44
euro car parts are doing green stuff pads for 30 quid, would they do the trick?

Yeah, excellent, then all the other track users can have fun trying to avoid all the bits that have crumbled off.

car.crash
18-09-2008, 13:45
whats thats supposed to mean tim, are they gash then?

BWilkie
18-09-2008, 13:46
DS2500 are the ones i would go for mate!

Tiny Tim
18-09-2008, 13:52
whats thats supposed to mean tim, are they gash then?

From experience, using grated cheese would work better.

car.crash
18-09-2008, 13:53
DS2500 are the ones i would go for mate!

cool i will go with these then, are the available off the shelf, or mail order only?

Clio GTT
18-09-2008, 15:33
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

cool i will go with these then, are the available off the shelf, or mail order only?

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ try these