PDA

View Full Version : damn thing wont idle :(

djinuk
30-05-2009, 22:12
As a few know during the awesome outing at pod my r5 didnt want to idle to save its life. Anyway , i worked out why...

The dumpvalve vacume was actually plumbed into the carb overful, the confusion happened when the night before the engine had been in a few bits, and rather than the hose thats usally T'ed off the Aei unit going to the dump valve the carb overflow was. meaning the Aei was also left open to suck up lots of air.

Now ive swapped them hoses over, however the damn thing still does not want to idle well, it attempts to but its hunting massivily , has is possibly damaged somthing in the error or the mixed up hoses?

Ive so far cleaned up the plugs, cleaned out all the idle valve, took the carb top of and the jets and blew them through with carb cleaner (apart from the main jet) and ive also checked all hoses for an air leak.

Any ideas as im running out.? If the revs are held at 2krpm or more there is no problem, so driving is fine, its only when it attempts to idle is hunts massivly, somthing going as low as dieing.

Markey Mark (BD)
30-05-2009, 22:18
Is the mixture screw still in the carb base mate?

djinuk
30-05-2009, 22:26
indeed it is still there, although i havnt lifted the carb off to see if the ends still on it.

I think the best way to describe it is the same hunting you get when having a massive airleak on a honda or similar.. ( a heart beat)

Markey Mark (BD)
30-05-2009, 22:29
indeed it is still there, although i havnt lifted the carb off to see if the ends still on it.

I think the best way to describe it is the same hunting you get when having a massive airleak on a honda or similar.. ( a heart beat)

If you still have the dump valve connected presuming its a diaphram one is the diaphram ok?

Sparkie
30-05-2009, 22:44
take out the idle jet - clean out the little hole in the very end of it.

then get wd40 or carb cleaner, with a straw, and push the straw as far into the hole as possible and give it a 20second blast. then put the idle jet back in, make sure it has a rubber seal or ptfe tape on it.

djinuk
30-05-2009, 22:45
ermm you say is the diaphram ok, , its moving in when the car is attempting to idle but then as the idle begins to die the valve is closing in. I would whip it apart to check but the stupid allen headed screws that hold the top on like are all knackred (like all other fittings on the car)

Would any idea be to simply block the dumpvalve hole and the hose that runs to it and see if it works.

Markey Mark (BD)
30-05-2009, 22:48
Yeah easy test would be to remove the dump valve completly and block the hole up in the boost pipe, remember to remove the vacumm pipe going to it too.

Worth giving the jets a clean out again like Sparkie says too.

djinuk
30-05-2009, 23:18
spot on thanks guys, :) ill let you know how i get on.. Got the gti6 running today,, fired straight up and all the sesors etc are working with teh 205 dash..., now i just need to get to grips with these damn r5s in the same way.

Blick
30-05-2009, 23:23
take out the idle jet - clean out the little hole in the very end of it.

then get wd40 or carb cleaner, with a straw, and push the straw as far into the hole as possible and give it a 20second blast. then put the idle jet back in, make sure it has a rubber seal or ptfe tape on it.

sparkie told me2 do this b4 when i was havin the same problem..... sorted it right out :agree:

djinuk
31-05-2009, 09:02
just tried this with the carb cleaner again as stated to no avail. Removed the carb and gave it all a real good blast through but still no joy. Blocked off dump valve and the hose going to it.. again no joy.

Then i noticed the telephone hose wasnt making a very good connection and was sucking a lot of air in on the join to the breather system, i placed my finger briefly over the end of the breather and the revs raised up, next thing i no lots of smoke outa the exhaust and turbo elbow, so i quickly turned the car off. Guessing its pulled the oil somewhere it shudnt go.. oopps.