PDA

View Full Version : track rod ends

tom t
30-05-2009, 19:28
ive had to grind my track rod ends off today as they wouldnt come of at all.

do gsf sell these? ive seen some on there website but it doesnt say for gt turbo.. are they all the same? if they are all the same i take it they would fit if they came of a campus prima?

and am i right in saying there not sided?

if there not gana fit ill have to get them from cgb.

cheers :agree:

J$£5GTT
30-05-2009, 22:04
ive had to grind my track rod ends off today as they wouldnt come of at all.

do gsf sell these? ive seen some on there website but it doesnt say for gt turbo.. are they all the same? if they are all the same i take it they would fit if they came of a campus prima?

and am i right in saying there not sided?

if there not gana fit ill have to get them from cgb.

cheers :agree:

all the same,not sided an you should be able to get them from your local
motor factors,come in different guises but i found the 'delphi' brand to be
good quality.
:agree:

Scoff
30-05-2009, 22:07
Yes, same as R5 N/A and others.

tom t
31-05-2009, 11:05
thankyou. Now going to get some hopefuly theyll be the delphi 1s then. Im not to sure on how to get the old 1s off. Ive slackend the nut on them. Do they just turn out now? Cheers

Scoff
31-05-2009, 11:14
if they're not to be re-used you might get away with hammering the thread downward to pop out of the hub. sometimes they're stuck fast, you need a balljoint splitter (maybe a 10er from halfords and the like)

tip: leave the hub end connected while you slacken the lock nut on the track rod arm :)

tom t
31-05-2009, 13:18
ive slackend the lock nut, and the track rod is out of the hub end.

just not sure on how the come off the steering rack as ive never done them before. and i didnt really intend on doing them but they had to be grinded off.

dont suppouse anyone knows the measurements of the bottom ball joint bolts? as i could do with replacing them.

i was going to get the wheel bearings done yesterday so i was taking the hub off. but i wont be able to get the bearing done till in the week now so the car needs to go back together. and the bolts have seen better days.

thanks alot for ya help would be great to get the car sorted. :agree:

tom t
31-05-2009, 16:05
im stuck with trying to get the track rod end off any advice would be much appreciated thanks

minty83
31-05-2009, 16:39
soak them i wd40 over night

V Man
31-05-2009, 16:51
They just unsrew so treat it like any other threaded bolt that is stuck, soak them in wd40 as mentioned, heat the join where the thread meets the inner rod with a blow torch. I found using mole grips and something to steady the inner rod useful then bashing the thread round with a hammer anticlockwise.

tom t
31-05-2009, 19:52
cheers everyone. i managed to get it done. one side was alot easier then the other. and theyve all got to come off again for the wheel bearings to be done. :agree:

V Man
31-05-2009, 20:19
cheers everyone. i managed to get it done. one side was alot easier then the other. and theyve all got to come off again for the wheel bearings to be done. :agree:

If you don't already I recommend using copper slip on then threads, makes it so much easier removing parts later on.

tom t
01-06-2009, 07:35
have done sone copper slip all the way.:agree: