PDA

View Full Version : Making My Own Exhaust System - Idea's Please

TURBO'D CLIO
29-05-2009, 22:49
Evening all..

Finished my volvo turbo conversion now, just got the exhaust left and i need a little help.. I'm a welder by trade so i can pretty much weld any thing together lol..

Right now i have my down pipe from the volvo it doesent clear the subframe needs moving over by about a inch but thats no problem..

First question is do i need a flexy joint in the system, the volvo never had one but the clio did ? The down pipe has it's own kind of corrigated flexy thing (hard to explain lol) where as the clio had one just before the cat converter.....

Next question is do turbos require back pressure or is it the bigger the pipe and less boxes the better ? I was thinking of making a flange out of thick steel to bolt onto the volvo down pipe then have 2 1/2" pipe straight back to a small back box...

Also i need to some how make a way of fitting a cat for the mot but be able to take it out after, so need to make a kind of decat pipe..

On the volvo the lambda was in the cat, where shall i leave it fitted now because it cant stay in the cat as ill be looseing that once mot has been and gone, would some where in the front pipe do?

Any help would be fab as im making it tomoz morning... :agree:

R5GTTRaider
30-05-2009, 10:38
Evening all..

Finished my volvo turbo conversion now, just got the exhaust left and i need a little help.. I'm a welder by trade so i can pretty much weld any thing together lol..

Right now i have my down pipe from the volvo it doesent clear the subframe needs moving over by about a inch but thats no problem..

First question is do i need a flexy joint in the system, the volvo never had one but the clio did ? The down pipe has it's own kind of corrigated flexy thing (hard to explain lol) where as the clio had one just before the cat converter.....

Next question is do turbos require back pressure or is it the bigger the pipe and less boxes the better ? I was thinking of making a flange out of thick steel to bolt onto the volvo down pipe then have 2 1/2" pipe straight back to a small back box...

Also i need to some how make a way of fitting a cat for the mot but be able to take it out after, so need to make a kind of decat pipe..

On the volvo the lambda was in the cat, where shall i leave it fitted now because it cant stay in the cat as ill be looseing that once mot has been and gone, would some where in the front pipe do?

Any help would be fab as im making it tomoz morning... :agree:

id say the flexi pipe would be a idea, it will put less strain on the wealds of your system.turbo and everything else.
turbo hate back pressure, the quicker the turbo can expell the gasses the more efficent it will spool.id go for a well named box, but go for one with the same id as your piping,
if the lamba senser was in the cat which your removing it wouldnt matter, but id say some were before the cat,
come next mot your need the cat, so.... you need to look if the lambda is is before or after the catalyser core, that way you can put it the right side of the decatpipe, which id recommend making yes your have extra joints, but dought it will pass with no cat

or you could fit it in the front pipe, then at mot time swap the lambda to the cat and use a blanking plug in the front pipe, that way its in the right place to give the correct reading so you get the right co2 reading etc

out of intrest what turbo you got, if you want something thatll growl use 3" piping :D

ps.fancy making me a 3" system :scared: