PDA

View Full Version : Another carb question

tiff_lee
28-05-2009, 12:49
Ok quick one car starts and idles fine however ....
if the throttle is opened too quick at idle the engine will almost cut out and hesitates before picking up revs but if I progressively open the throttle then it picks up revs fine without any hesitation.

I have removed and cleaned the idle jet which was little dirty but still same problem, what else should I be checking?

For reference carb has been rebuilt new seals etc..

Brigsy
28-05-2009, 12:52
Check the acc pump jet is clean & fires out a decent jet of petrol. If its working fine check the adjustment of the acc pump lever.

R5GTTRaider
28-05-2009, 13:43
on the acc pump, is it a case of cleaning, or replacing the diaphrame

tiff_lee
28-05-2009, 21:01
Check the acc pump jet is clean & fires out a decent jet of petrol. If its working fine check the adjustment of the acc pump lever.
Can I see this in action if I just look down through the carb top?

Brigsy
28-05-2009, 23:18
Yes, if you look down the throat of the carb you will see the jet squirting when the throttle is opened:)

if it dribbles clean the brass tube with carb cleaner.

THE MASTER
28-05-2009, 23:57
you should get a clean squirt of fuel from the brass tube
if you see any dribbles down from were the pipe comes from . pop the top of the carb of and check the wee tinny little o ring that seals the the base of the acc jet

a;so if you get no squirt
see if the acc lever is moving
position =just under were the fuel pipe goes on .
to test engine off open throttle it simple easy innit:p

markey b
29-05-2009, 00:54
my acc pump lever seized, and it was almost impossible to start on the starter from cold... would need a bump in the mornings to get going.. when it was free'd off it now starts on the button again

djinuk
29-05-2009, 06:16
the litle o ring the master speaks of is damn tiny, i had mine in bits and still cudnt see it, it was only when trying to fit a new one i saw it lift slightly, if i remmber correctly its a tiny fibre seal, and im pretty sure my carb refurb kit didnt have one in.

guyus
31-05-2009, 01:18
iv just brought a carb kit in the hope of it haveing this oring:(
dose any one know where you can get this oring??? iv tryed a few replacements, but they just seem to fall apart, i find because the oring has perrished on my carb,
between gear changs it holds back for a spilt second but if i feed the throttel in its fine

Sparkie
31-05-2009, 09:13
its not an o ring...its red and a thin rubbery gasket.

tiff_lee
18-04-2010, 16:57
Ok major thread resurrection but I figured since it was my thread and the issue isn't solved its no big deal :)

I finally got round to investigating this after all this time (been sidetracked doing bodywork) seeing as I could limp the car around I left it be.

The jet of fuel from the brass pipe seems erratic, sometimes it will dribble out, sometimes it will jet but it appears to shoot off in different directions (including opposite direction to the tube is pointing ??) so more of a spray than jet.

I have set the acc pump with a 5mm drill bit, all gaskets are new including the red seal on the brass tube although I think the problem is the tube itself it does appear a little kinked/bent which is perhaps causing flow problems.

Is it possible to purchase replacement brass tube/jet?

tiff_lee
18-04-2010, 21:04
Ok courtesy of Spooky (thanks you sir) I will have a replacement accl pump jet on route shortly so can swap them over and see if the problem persists.