PDA

View Full Version : Race helmets

Dan O'Neill
26-05-2009, 23:59
Im looking to do a lot of track days when i get my new car and ill need a helmet where do you suggest i start looking and what sort of prices.

J8TRO
27-05-2009, 22:52
In the same boat......Been looking at second hand Arai helmets on E-bay that have been used a few times as a spare / passenger helmet.

Normally go for around £50 inc P/P

There are lots of band new helmets for the same price but i don't know if there any good. A biker friend told me to get an arai and nothing else.

Kris M
27-05-2009, 22:59
You should NEVER, buy a second hand crash helmet ;)

Bigfoot
27-05-2009, 23:00
A lot of people off here got helmets from this place

http://www.ghostbikes.com/

J8TRO
27-05-2009, 23:04
You should NEVER, buy a second hand crash helmet ;)

Yeah, i never thought about that........i could get nits!

BriC
27-05-2009, 23:26
Yeah, i never thought about that........i could get nits!

No.. their 'helmet' properties may have been used.

J8TRO
27-05-2009, 23:35
No.. their 'helmet' properties may have been used.

Man........you took me seriously......:wasntme::wasntme: I got Kris' point!

BriC
27-05-2009, 23:43
Man........you took me seriously......:wasntme::wasntme: I got Kris' point!

No, I knew you were joking.. :scared::laugh:

Dan O'Neill
28-05-2009, 09:00
A lot of people off here got helmets from this place

http://www.ghostbikes.com/

Wow there cheap and good designs, cheers for that.:agree:

rhys0_0
28-05-2009, 18:01
Maybe a bit to cheap though?:confused:

clee
28-05-2009, 18:25
If it passes standards then no worries .
A lot of people get hung up on names in the helmet game .
If it fits well and has the correct BS/SNELL....whatever, then it's been tested exactly the same whether it costs £50 or £500 ......................
I've yet to see a helmet sold that says 'EXCEEDS ' std this or that :agree:

Bigfoot
28-05-2009, 18:50
What I look at is the helmet is only going to be used in track day cars, rather than on a bike. As when on a bike your open to full ground when on impact, car you got the car around you to cushion a lot of the blow.

clee
28-05-2009, 18:57
Ahh, but a car can inflict a fair blow as well as you're sat inside a big metal lump and can flop about a bit ..................At least on a bike you only have the ground to worry about .... your arms, legs and torso will absorb a lot of the impact :agree:

Bigfoot
28-05-2009, 19:06
Ahh, but a car can inflict a fair blow as well as you're sat inside a big metal lump and can flop about a bit ..................At least on a bike you only have the ground to worry about .... your arms, legs and torso will absorb a lot of the impact :agree:

Bucket seats, cage and 4 point harnesses, doubt there will be much flopping about really :) but granted having a normal seat and belts you are open to a lot of flopping about

Leigh
28-05-2009, 19:49
This is the helmet i got for the odd track day etc.... http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=OMPSC604L as didnt want to spend loads but looked good value for money. People did say about the Sparco Club Sport but was on back order when i ordered it :(

Alastair
28-05-2009, 19:52
This is the helmet i got for the odd track day etc.... http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=OMPSC604L as didnt want to spend loads but looked good value for money. People did say about the Sparco Club Sport but was on back order when i ordered it :(

I have the same, comfortable and meets the regs. I wasnt bothered about looks but when on it isnt that bad as it hides my big ears...:laugh:

rhys0_0
29-05-2009, 08:28
If it passes standards then no worries .
A lot of people get hung up on names in the helmet game .
If it fits well and has the correct BS/SNELL....whatever, then it's been tested exactly the same whether it costs £50 or £500 ......................
I've yet to see a helmet sold that says 'EXCEEDS ' std this or that :agree:

Its all about comfort with a lid. But good point. It's only used for a few mins so the comfort side you can get away with :agree: