PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Dash out of Extra Van

Kenobi
25-05-2009, 11:45
ok so I want to take everything out of the van and replace it.

Ideally i just want a lil pod speedo or summat. Any advice here?

My fans stoped working and the dash is pretty gay looking plus the clocks are shagged. I gotta remove seats anyway as they are tres GAY.

Does anyone know how minimalist you can go?

Please help I am a frightened lil Jedi.

R5GTTRaider
25-05-2009, 14:48
you could to a mr bean and sit on the roof, that way you could have nothing inside but a bit of rope and some broom handles!!

seriouly tho if its for the track you could just strip the dash out, make things look tidy and fit the clocks or a aftermarket one, but all yourd need is a rev counter,other gagdes ie psi,oil pressure water temp etc etc

and then one seat,

when i finaly get my misus to do her test, my car will be stripped and made only for me and a pass, half dash and no carpet :D

may even ditch every thing left of the clocks!!

markey b
25-05-2009, 23:18
how about replacing the clocks with a grandfather clock? it'll also make you feel posh with the wood

Kenobi
26-05-2009, 10:00
how about replacing the clocks with a grandfather clock? it'll also make you feel posh with the wood

Hmm a cuckoo instead of dumpvalve, with my disk swinging as the pendulum.

LOL

Seriously though what is needed for mot, just a speedo?

djinuk
26-05-2009, 10:17
pretty sure for mot u will need securely fixed fusebox, and all the switches correctly labled for hazards, fogs so on and so on.

djinuk
26-05-2009, 10:17
also you need heaters for mot (demister) however there is a unit you can buy that does the same job which is about £20, saw it somewhere a while back.

Chris Hebden
26-05-2009, 10:23
also you need heaters for mot (demister) however there is a unit you can buy that does the same job which is about £20, saw it somewhere a while back.

Really?? Never heard that before and never seen it tested! Well thats my lesson for today over and done with!!?!

R5GTTRaider
26-05-2009, 10:26
never had the heaters tested in a mot,
so long as you have all the normal controls,
lights,indicaters,horn,wipers,rearfogs,hazards you shouldnt need much more

so bacicly whats on the stalks and 2 buttons

and so long as the belts are secure and the seat dosnt flap about then theres nothing else with the dash,
why dont you cut down beside the clocks, make a plate to blank the end and make it look preety and leave the rest, it would look bare like that, and no messing about with wires,and switches.

and the plastic of the clock surround woulnd way more then a kg. hardly noticeable if removed

Kenobi
26-05-2009, 10:45
never had the heaters tested in a mot,
so long as you have all the normal controls,
lights,indicaters,horn,wipers,rearfogs,hazards you shouldnt need much more

so bacicly whats on the stalks and 2 buttons

and so long as the belts are secure and the seat dosnt flap about then theres nothing else with the dash,
why dont you cut down beside the clocks, make a plate to blank the end and make it look preety and leave the rest, it would look bare like that, and no messing about with wires,and switches.

and the plastic of the clock surround woulnd way more then a kg. hardly noticeable if removed

I saw one of HaZ's cars once that was real bare and it looked great. I would like to remove everything and then maybe get a SPA dash mounted in. Anyone got that done?

R5GTTRaider
26-05-2009, 10:52
I saw one of HaZ's cars once that was real bare and it looked great. I would like to remove everything and then maybe get a SPA dash mounted in. Anyone got that done?
oh well if your prepared to have a panal dash with buttons/switched there

any way here u go matey
http://www.fastcar.co.uk/04570735437136328469/gallery/DSCN2252.JPG?maxw=542

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/04570735437136328469/renault-5-raider-mod-gods-approved.html

i know its in a 5 and not a extra but same as pretty much, looks like theve left the dash in but you can see the finnish :agree:

djinuk
26-05-2009, 11:10
Really?? Never heard that before and never seen it tested! Well thats my lesson for today over and done with!!?!

Hmm, you have me doubting now then, all i know is my friend who has a bmw road/track car went through a lot of trouble to get this small heater unit that sits at the bottom of the dash and plugs into the 12v supply to demist the windows. I also know he had it fitted pre mot. Ive never seen it tested , but then again ive never seen a lot of the areas in an mot tested, rear seatbelts etc always get missed off on mine.

R5GTTRaider
26-05-2009, 11:15
yer mot'ers can be funny, in what they test, if the car looks sound underneth and no faults on the out side, they genrealy dont scurtineer the car top to bottom, my e30 got mot'ed, no advisorys and he didnt check half the things hes was ment to, but its was a clean car, no rust mint paint and all lights bells and whistles intact and working perfect, so i think if they see a mint car they dont realy look at it as much as a car that say has rust up the door, cracked light, sh8ty interior etc
as if the car is well looked after its doubghtfull the rest of the car is going to be kack

djinuk
26-05-2009, 11:29
ive took some dodgy as hell cars for mot, a fiesta once was round 5 different colors, welding all over it, looked real gypo spec.. and yet it passed with flying colors, on the way home it rained and i realised the wipers didnt even work!!.

Kenobi, why not remove the dash, and get it flocked.

Kenobi
26-05-2009, 11:38
ive took some dodgy as hell cars for mot, a fiesta once was round 5 different colors, welding all over it, looked real gypo spec.. and yet it passed with flying colors, on the way home it rained and i realised the wipers didnt even work!!.

Kenobi, why not remove the dash, and get it flocked.

I want **** all in there dude. I want it to look like ive built it. lol

R5GTTRaider
26-05-2009, 12:15
I want **** all in there dude. I want it to look like ive built it. lol
ah oh ... quick hide

lol, just strip the dash use the reno clocks or aftermarket and fit the switches in on a panal like above,
will look good :agree: