PDA

View Full Version : fitting a timing chain cover

Ashy
24-05-2009, 22:57
I've goto fit a timing chain cover tomorrow and wanted to get some tips!

We thought it was a sump leak to start with so fitted a new sump and thought we'd cracked it. But unfortunately the leak came back. We've had another look and its clearly leaking from the back of the timing cover.

So the questions are:

Any tips on removing and re-fitting the cover with the engine in the car? Unfortunately the cover has been fitted with button head screws and they seem to be rounded off :(

Like I said we've just done the sump so would rather not have to remove it again, but I want to make sure its done properly so don’t want cut corners. Has anyone ever managed to do the timing cover without removing the sump and had any success?

Any other tips?

Kris M
25-05-2009, 10:45
IMO, you should really lower the sump, fit the timing cover then bring the sump up to seal against the cover

I use plenty of thixo to seal everything, Ive also seen people use a cork timing cover gasket fitted to ( campus`s?) aswell, sparky rings a bell ?

Put thixo on both sides of the half moon seal, aswell as on the two "wings"

Then hope it doesnt leak again :)

Ashy
25-05-2009, 21:47
Sorted now, I took the sump back off, wanted to make sure it was done properly and didn't leak. Job done ready for POD :)